Arch Arm on a wm8850 netbook query

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Arch Arm on a wm8850 netbook query

Postby MrEvilBreakfast » Sun May 24, 2015 7:23 am

Hiya everyone,

I run Arch (regular) on two of my laptops, and recently acquired a cheap netbook from ebay. It's based on a WM8850 tablet - same motherboard, but no touchscreen, and a netbook keyboard + touch pad. It currently runs Android (and an old one at that).

Since Andoid + typical netbook set up is absolutely the dumbest thing ever, and it runs a Cortex A9, I really really really really really want to run an Arm fork of Arch on the thing. But from all the things I've read online about even the tablet, running ANYTHING but Android is impossible.

Has anyone else who has this tablet/netbook managed to circumvent this atrocious oversight?

If not, then HELP! OMG HELP!
MrEvilBreakfast

Re: Arch Arm on a wm8850 netbook query

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue May 26, 2015 1:23 pm

I think this discussion has come up in the past, and I would suggest giving the forums a search.

Also, this is essentially a VIA chip (WonderMedia is now owned by them), and if you can get the necessary kernel bits you should be able to make a run at it. They (VIA) are better with their kernel support than WonderMedia was, by far, so you have a better chance these days. However, you will need to deal with kernel versions needing to be more modern due to systemd's kernel feature requirements.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Re: Arch Arm on a wm8850 netbook query

Postby MrEvilBreakfast » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:23 pm

I did a search before posting - couldn't find anything. I also spent a few hours searching the web and coudln't find a whole lot. I think I may have to give up on this thing. :/
MrEvilBreakfast

Return to User Questions