Please help me a pick a new device

Ask questions about Arch Linux ARM. Please search before making a new topic.

Please help me a pick a new device

Postby chris5h » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:26 pm

Hi ALARM community,

My pogoplug V2 is really starting to show it's age, and I would love to get some beefier hardware for it. Currently I have ALARM installed on a 2GB flashdrive with a 2TB external USB drive for file shareing, torrents, etc.

Currently I use it for:

LAMP setup
Torrents with Transmission
DLNA Streaming with MiniDLNA
Filesharing with Samba.

The DLNA streaming gets really jittery with any kind of large files, and the whole thing slows down when using downloading a large torrent. I would live to be able to do trans coding, or even run Plex but it is just too slow,

Here really i my ideal:
I would love t have gigabit ethernet ( so no rasberry pi) and USB 3.0 as that is what the external hard drive uses, and I would love it to be < $100.

Thanks everyone for any suggestions you can offer. :?:
chris5h

Re: Please help me a pick a new device

Postby moonman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:48 pm

No transcoding on any arm device. I can stream 1080p 20GB files over dlns and download torrents at 3MB/s with lighttpd running and serving files on my GFH which has half the ram of pogoplug. The only bottleneck on pogoplug is 30MB/s usb bus, which should still be enough. You just need to set it up more efficiently.

Otherwise, besides PPv4 no device has USB3. Plex has transcoding disabled on all arm devices because they can't keep up. Take a look at our supported devices list, there is a pretty good comparison chart and then just look up a price for the ones that suit your needs. You probably want armv7 (dual or quad), gigabit nic and esata (instead of usb3).
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby jeajea » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:31 am

Zyxel NSA325 has USB3 and gigabit Ethernet.
It has double the memory of the Pogo and a slightly faster processor.
It performs much better than the Pogo as a DLNA server.
However, it is over your $100 goal.
I suspect you can’t find anything for $100 that meets all your requirements.
Jim Anderson
3 Dockstars, 3 Pogoplug V2 and a Zyxel NSA325
Treasure Island, Fl
jeajea

Postby moonman » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:59 am

Yeah forgot about nsa325
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby chris5h » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:08 pm

Thank you for the info guys,

I ended up going with an ODROID-C1.
http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7 ... /odroid-c1

The board, with power supply and plastic case ran about $60 shipped, and the quad core 1.5GHz processor and 1GB RAM makes me pretty happy. I like the form factor too where if I wanted in the future to do something with it I could.
chris5h

Return to User Questions