Can pogo pro overclock?

This forum is for all other ARMv5 devices

Can pogo pro overclock?

Postby ahmao » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:04 am

dual core 700M is too slow for me
it takes too many time to complile asterisk packge.

thanks
ahmao

Re: Can pogo pro overclock?

Postby KeithJeb » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:18 am

Probably, but also probably not the best idea. Why not set distcc up? (theres a guide in developers)
KeithJeb

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:24 pm

The Pro (oxnas 782x line) can be overclocked, but only from the stage1 initialization code. I have successfully overclocked it to a stable 925Mhz, but that requires access to code under an NDA from PLX, so I can't provide you the source simply, and I can't say it will work for booting from the NAND. This is on my testing rig, which has a blown NAND, and is booting directly from SATA.

It's on the list of possible to-dos for the future.

The improvement, according to benchmarks is an exact match to the scaling in Mhz, so you will see precisely (925/700)*100-100=32.14% increase in speed, but remember that you are still limited to the rest of the subsystems (IO/mem/etc).
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:08 pm

We have asterisk in the repo, though it may be getting a little old at this point.

The only ways to appreciably speed up package building are:
1. distcc compilations to a cross-toolchain on a fast x86 computer
2. run builds on a SATA attached drive, USB induces a ton of IO wait
3. create about a 1GB file in tmpfs (thus RAM) on the x86 host, export over iSCSI as the swapfile for the device

After building thousands of packages, that's really it. There's only so much faster you can go on these small devices.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby ahmao » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:27 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kmihelich', 'W')e have asterisk in the repo, though it may be getting a little old at this point.

The only ways to appreciably speed up package building are:
1. distcc compilations to a cross-toolchain on a fast x86 computer
2. run builds on a SATA attached drive, USB induces a ton of IO wait
3. create about a 1GB file in tmpfs (thus RAM) on the x86 host, export over iSCSI as the swapfile for the device

After building thousands of packages, that's really it. There's only so much faster you can go on these small devices.

Can pogo pro attach an SATA drive directly from its SATA port, or need to also get a USB external drive?
If first option is ok, how to get the power for hard drive?
ahmao

Postby kmihelich » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:29 pm

It can, and you'll need to power it using some cable, depending on if you're just working on a bare drive, some kind of enclosure, or something else. If you have something like an eSATA enclosure, you can get cables that go from eSATA to the motherboard-style SATA connectors.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Return to Community Supported