Help -- PogoPlug not booting from USB drive

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Re: Help -- PogoPlug not booting from USB drive

Postby sambul13 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:14 pm

Why a typical Pogo user would need larger than 2Gb partition to install ArchLinux ARM to? Any user Data & Media can and should be stored on a separate Data Partition (often on another drive), not a system partition. Don't forget guys this is not a desktop... and it has limited practical functions scope, regardless how you paint it. :D
sambul13

Postby moonman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Well if you have a separate boot partition it is a different story then... 1GB for boot partition seems like a waste of space though considering uImage is about 3MB
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby Hypnosis4U2NV » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:14 am

I updated my Archlinux a couple of days ago and installed Webmin and MiniDLNA, both running without issue.. Today I had a power outage and when the power came back up, my Pogoplug failed to boot from the external hard disk Archlinux is installed on.. I've experienced this before whenever the Pogoplug loses power, it will fail to boot back into Archlinux UNLESS I disconnect the other external hard drives I have connected to it.. Once Archlinux is booted up and running, I can reattach the external drives and they will automount and become active.. Today I did that and could not access the files on those drives, but according to Webmin they were mounted but not in use.. One drive I was able to start by clicking the 'No' button under "In use?" and it turned into 'Yes', but the other needed to be unmounted and remounted to start..

I live in a rural area where power outages are really common, and this routine is starting to wear on me.. Is there anyway to have the Pogoplug boot from the external drive with Archlinux while the other external drives are connected during a cold boot? What do I need to set to make sure the other two drives are mounted and in use when this occurs?

Here are just some screen captures of my mounts and what they are set at..

Hypnosis4U2NV

Postby moonman » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:59 am

First thing you should do is convert your rootfs partition to ext3. You will be less likely to have a filesystem corruption due to improper power down. Use ubuntu live cd and issue "tune2fs -j /dev/sdX1" where X is your harddrive with rootfs. But BEFORE you do that, ssh into the pogoplug and issue "fw_setenv usb_rootfstype ext3" so that your plug is able to boot off of a ext3 partition after conversion.

Also, I believe the top usb port on the plug is the one that gets tested for kernel image first so plug-in your boot hdd in there.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby sambul13 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:50 am

Run Htop to check Webmin load on Pogo proc. :o You may be better off with udev-automount.
sambul13

Postby Hypnosis4U2NV » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:19 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', 'F')irst thing you should do is convert your rootfs partition to ext3. You will be less likely to have a filesystem corruption due to improper power down. Use ubuntu live cd and issue "tune2fs -j /dev/sdX1" where X is your harddrive with rootfs. But BEFORE you do that, ssh into the pogoplug and issue "fw_setenv usb_rootfstype ext3" so that your plug is able to boot off of a ext3 partition after conversion.

Also, I believe the top usb port on the plug is the one that gets tested for kernel image first so plug-in your boot hdd in there.

It's plugged in on the top USB port on the rear.. Should I use the front one?

I am assuming I am using the ubuntu live CD from my desktop and issuing that command from there with the boot drive plugged in, right?
Hypnosis4U2NV

Postby Hypnosis4U2NV » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:33 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('sambul13', 'R')un Htop to check Webmin load on Pogo proc. :o You may be better off with udev-automount.

How do I go about installing Htop? pacman -Sy htop

I thought that udev-automount was to be run from an earlier release where the automount was broken? My Archlinux is completely up to date now.. I am a bit skeptical using it since it actually borked my boot drive (wouldn't boot from it) and had to reset everything from scratch.. I'll probably make a backup image with USB Image Tool before I attempt it again.. Any suggestions on a backing up that boot drive with any other Windows program?
Hypnosis4U2NV

Postby sambul13 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:22 pm

Try an Rsynk variety for incremental backups, and Redo Backup to make a mirror once in awhile. Bot run well from within a virtual machine in Windows. Backup speed is faster when hooking your USB drive directly to the VM rather than using Samba.
sambul13

Postby Hypnosis4U2NV » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:14 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', 'F')irst thing you should do is convert your rootfs partition to ext3. You will be less likely to have a filesystem corruption due to improper power down. Use ubuntu live cd and issue "tune2fs -j /dev/sdX1" where X is your harddrive with rootfs. But BEFORE you do that, ssh into the pogoplug and issue "fw_setenv usb_rootfstype ext3" so that your plug is able to boot off of a ext3 partition after conversion.

I want to get back to this recommendation, I have Ubuntu 12.04 running off of a VM and want to know if I can do this using that rather than the LiveCD.. I also read that the drive should NOT be mounted when the tune2fs command is issued to the drive, so I want to make sure that once I connect the USB drive to the computer it will not be mounted..
Hypnosis4U2NV

Postby WarheadsSE » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Even if it is mounted, just unmount it.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Marvell Kirkwood