Pogoplug Pro vs Pogoplug v4

This forum is for Marvell Kirkwood devices such as the GoFlex Home/Net, PogoPlug v1/v2, SheevaPlug, and ZyXEL devices.

Pogoplug Pro vs Pogoplug v4

Postby zer0nix » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:39 pm

between the pogoplug pro and pogoplug v4, which should offer faster directory access speeds* and better performance with samba and transmission?

this thread offers some good insights on the hardware differences between the v4 and v2/pro/dockstar series
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2110
however, i'm not sure how all that translates into real world use.

basically, the v4 has usb3 which reputedly confers a 7MB/s file transfer speed advantage when connected via ethernet (3MBps for pro, 10MBps for v4).
the pro has a dual core cpu, faster fsb and more ram, but i don't know if the performance advantages will be appreciable.

*for instance, lets say i have 2 ntfs folders ... one folder contains 40k+ files and the other folder contains 900k files in 20k folders (i know, i know, i need to be better about file management) ... all ludicrousness aside, which of these 2 plugs should load these folders faster?
zer0nix

Re: Pogoplug Pro vs Pogoplug v4

Postby pepedog » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:05 pm

Someone should make a game of top trumps for arm devices
pepedog
Developer

Postby moonman » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:13 pm

short answer: pro is faster, usb3 is useless on v4. It is 10 mbyte/s not mbps (megabit/s)
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:36 am

You say that, but I get rather constantly decent performance with my usb3 3TB driver formatted ext4, I'll have to run the samba tests again...

Also, the V4 is currently better supported by far.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby rty » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:11 am

I don't have Pogoplug Pro but I have V2, V4 and Goflex Home. Here are my test result using DD command:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'd')d count=1k bs=1M if=/dev/zero of=test.img

On Pogoplug series 4 with Seagate Backup 1TB disk on eSata port:

Result: 36.7MB/s on Root partition of ext3 type, mounted with the following options:
(rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,nodelalloc,data=ordered)

Result: 47.5MB/s on another ext4 type partition, mounted with the following options:(rw,noatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)

On Goflex Home with WD Passport USB3.0 2TB harddisk

20.2MB/S on ext-2 root mounted with options: (rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1)
31.3MB/S on ext-4 partition mounted with options: (rw,noatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)

On Pogoplug Pink V2 (E02) with WD Passport USB3.0 2TB formatted in ext4 mounted with options: (rw,noatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered): I got inconsistent results varying from 10MB/s to 20MB/s. (Why oh why? :? )

I'll reinstall ALARM on the V2 and try again. Does anyone know why V2 gives inconsistent results with DD test each time?
Alarm + Samba + NginX + Php+ MySQL + phpMyAdmin on Raspberry Pi 3, Pogoplug 4, Pogoplug E02, Seagate Goflex Home
rty

Postby moonman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:46 am

My fastest device (in terms of hdd interface) does 30-35 mB/s over samba to 1 client @ 100% CPU and it is GoFlex Home. Obviously 1.2 GHz > 800MHz v4 so whatever the interface is -be it sata/esata/usb3 - the bottleneck is the processor (and ram). I don't know why people keep using dd. It is useful to see hdd/interface raw throughput on your desktop because it is used directly on the desktop, but you never use it that way with plugs as you access hdd over a network connection - so samba/nfs/netatalk - whatever you use is involved. These protocold impose an overhead on the CPU and RAM that's why it is useful to measure the speed using these protocols. Maybe samba is heavy(ier) than nfs or netatalk, people may have better luck with other protocols, but atm I think samba is the most common and easily accessible from most devices without much configuration.

Anyway, that's my personal opinion. Pro should be faster with its dual-core CPU, but as WarheadsSE mentioned the support for oxnas cpu is not in mainline kernel hence the kernel is at v. 2.6.31 and inability to run systemd.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'O')n Pogoplug Pink V2 (E02) with WD Passport USB3.0 2TB formatted in ext4 mounted with options: (rw,noatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered): I got inconsistent results varying from 10MB/s to 20MB/s. (Why oh why?

I believe there's only one USB controller and an internal usb hub in the device so 480mbit/s is shared among all the usb devices currently connected, including your system drive (possibly with swap that may be accessed frequently in your case?)

Pogoplug V2 with 2 hdds currently connected, notice the hub:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'lsusb -t
/: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=orion-ehci/1p, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 3, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M
|__ Port 2: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M
')

GoFlex Home with a USB to LAN adapter connected (only 1 port is accessible on the device):
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'lsusb -t
/: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=orion-ehci/1p, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Vendor Specific Class, Driver=asix, 480M
')
Last edited by moonman on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby rty » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:23 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', 'O')bviously 1.2 GHz > 800MHz v4 so whatever the interface is -be it sata/esata/usb3 - the bottleneck is the processor (and ram).

This is what baffles me, Moonman. V4 is 800Mhz and Goflex 1.2Ghz but I got 47.5MB/s consistently with DD test on V4 while my Goflex Home only gives 31MB/s. :o

I'll do the SAMBA test later over gigabit LAN.
Alarm + Samba + NginX + Php+ MySQL + phpMyAdmin on Raspberry Pi 3, Pogoplug 4, Pogoplug E02, Seagate Goflex Home
rty

Postby moonman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:23 pm

My GF Home does 70 MB/s write and 100.39 MB/read with dd. I don't know how you ended up with 31 MB/s :?

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('rty', 'T')his is what baffles me, Moonman. V4 is 800Mhz and Goflex 1.2Ghz but I got 47.5MB/s consistently with DD test on V4 while my Goflex Home only gives 31MB/s. :o

Also, running dd -> there is much less overhead because there's no samba layer inbetween hence better speeds.
moonman
Developer

Postby zer0nix » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:31 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', 'P')ro should be faster with its dual-core CPU, but as WarheadsSE mentioned the support for oxnas cpu is not in mainline kernel

hmm. this might be a dumb question but are there any 3rd party kernels incoming?

regarding the slow speed of pogoplug devices, i found this little tidbit in a review:
"A key difference is that the Dockstar supports CIFS natively instead of the custom protocol that the PPV2 uses. I also noticed that under both OS X and Linux that the drivers for the Pogoplug were based on a FUSE (Filesystem in USErspace) architecture."
dunno how relevant that is, since my geek level is somewhat higher than a monkey's, but there it is.

the results of these threads are also relevant:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4712
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4834

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', '7')0 MB/s write and 100.39 MB/

my god, that's almost an order of magnitude faster! -actually, that's more than an order of magnitude faster, according to some reports.

it's too bad the goflex series only has usb2 -and i don't think there's such a thing as a usb3 to sata converter... is there?

thanks for all of your responses but my original question is not being answered (i think): could someone please find out if the pogoplug pro will load a directory faster and how much faster?

the reason why this is important is because file transfers tend to be kind of a background process not involving user attention, whereas the act of opening a directory to find and open a specific file is somewhat more attention intensive because there is the expectation that the operation will be completed quickly.

if a pogoplug pro can load a directory faster, i think it would be more attractive for my uses... i think.

i anticipate using the device to host music and movies for an hdd-less media box (popbox 3d) as well as hosting pictures and saved webpages. for the time being, i really don't anticipate doing very many high speed file transfers (at least not exceeding 10MB).
zer0nix

Postby Socaltom » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:18 am

I don't have a V4, but I've toyed with a Pro and a Pink V2. My transfer speeds as reported by windows are about 8 to 10MB/sec with USB, and slightly higher with the SATA port on the Pro. When transfering video to my TIVO premier using pyTivo, the tivo reports over 50MB/sec. A lot depends on how its all being done. At the end of the day, the V4 has 128M of memory, same as the Pro, and a single 800mhz processer, vs two 800mhz processors, so unless there is a lot of extra magic in the V4 box, I don't see how it could out perform the PRO.
The testing that I've done comparing the PRO to the PINK indicated that for their intended use, they are pretty well matched. I suspect the V4, was inteded to lower the cost of the device without losing too much of the performance. I can't see any reason it should perform better, the real question should be "will it perform good enough?"
Tom
PS, I picked up a refurbished pro for $15 on amazon
used to be owned by me
Pink Pogo V2, Black Pogo V3, Zyxel NAS 325 v1,
used to be Adminstrator for
Goflex net, Black V3, Black V2
Now I have a couple of raspberry pi ( 3+ and 4)
Socaltom

Next

Return to Marvell Kirkwood