Illegal Instruction

This forum is for topics specific to the Raspberry Pi and Arch Linux ARM

Illegal Instruction

Postby megapearl » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:53 pm

Hello,

I'm just new here, and using arch linux for the first time.
I use the 'unison file synchroniser' on different systems (ubuntu, freebsd)
But i can't get it to start on arch linux, i'm running an raspian pi which i want to sync through unison to other systems.

When i do a pacman -S unison

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
[root@client etc]# pacman -S unison
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (1):

Name Old Version New Version Net Change Download Size

unison 2.40.65-1 4,18 MiB

Total Installed Size: 4,18 MiB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
(1/1) checking package integrity [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) installing unison [#######################################################################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for unison
gtk2: for gtk2 support
[root@client etc]# uname -a
Linux client 3.2.27-12-ARCH+ #1 PREEMPT Wed Oct 17 13:12:48 UTC 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux
[root@client etc]# unison
Illegal Instruction
[root@client etc]#
')

I get a 'Illegal Instruction' what could be wrong here?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Donald.
megapearl

Re: Illegal Instruction

Postby svt » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:27 pm

I can confirm this. looks like the package was built on the wrong architecture. i have posted a bug on github. hopefully the maintainer can build the package with armv6h architecture.
svt

Postby megapearl » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Is it possible to compile it from source?
megapearl

Postby xenoxaos » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:31 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('megapearl', 'I')s it possible to compile it from source?

Of course it's possible....grab the PKGBUILD from abs and rebuild it.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
xenoxaos
Developer

Postby megapearl » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Where can i get it? is it even possible -> https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/issues/294
megapearl

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:55 pm

Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby xenoxaos » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:28 am

Well, I tested unison-beta out of aur and it seems to work properly. I only tested it on a v5, but it should be fine. Try installing unison-beta out of the repos in a few hours/tomorrow.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
xenoxaos
Developer

Solution for: unison - Illegal Instruction (core dumped)

Postby kassenbon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:22 am

Unfortunately neither the unison nor the unison-beta package works on the Raspberry Pi. Compiling unison from source by installing the recent ocaml package which is version 4+ producecs the same "illegal instruction (core dumped)" error.

The solution to get unison running on arch is to remove the recent ocaml and compile an older version, in my case it was 3.12 which you can get here:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'wget https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/archive/3.12.zip')
Unzip and cd into the extracted directory.

To compile ocaml-3.12 run:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', './configure')

If it returns errors it is up to you to solve them. In my case only gcc had to be installed, but there might be some more packages neccesary. If ./configure script finishes succesfully it is time to compile ocaml by running.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'make world
make opt
make install')

If everything finishes succesfully it is time to compile unison from source. Get the source form http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison//download/releases/. If you are syncing different operating systems be sure to chose the same version you are using on other systems to avoid compatibility problems. For me the 2.40.63 is working great together with ubuntu and windows. Untar and cd into the extracted unison directory.

To compile unison run:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'make UISTYLE=text ')

If it returns errors it is once again up to you to solve them. In my case "etags" could not be found what was solved by installing the emacs package. After compilation to check your result run unison by typing:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'chmod +x unison
./unison')

If everything works you can copy the unison executable from the current directory somewhere to the path to have it accessible from everywhere by typing:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'cp unison /usr/bin')
kassenbon

Postby vladthedog » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:51 pm

kassenbon, thanks for the write-up on this. Worked perfectly for me.
vladthedog

Return to Raspberry Pi