TonidoPlug is a commercially developed version of the SheevaPlug. They are essentially identical except for a missing serial UART/JTAG developer board in the TonioPlug. The TonidoPlug comes with Ubuntu 9.04 and the Tonido software preinstalled.
TonidoPlugs are popular with developers because they boot from USB by default, making installation of other operating systems painless and bricking the device is almost impossible.
- Connect via SSH. The root password is "nosoup4u" or whatever you set the PlugAdmin password to be.
- Remove ALL USB drives. Wait 20 seconds and then plug in the drive you want to install Arch Linux ARM to (at least 1GB in size). Your USB boot drive will be erased, so make sure you have backed up any files on it.
- Start fdisk to partition the USB drive:
- At the fdisk prompt, delete old partitions and create a new one:
- Type o. This will clear out any partitions on the drive.
- Type p to list partitions. There should be no partitions left.
- Now type n, then p for primary, 1 for the first partition on the drive, and then press ENTER, accepting default values.
- Exit by typing w.
- Format the drive and install Arch Linux ARM:
cd / /etc/init.d/samba stop umount /media/* mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1 mkdir /arch mount /dev/sda1 /arch cd /arch wget http://archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-armv5te-latest.tar.gz tar -xzvf ArchLinuxARM-armv5te-*.tar.gz rm ArchLinuxARM-armv5te-*.tar.gz cd / umount /arch reboot
- The SSH key of your device will be different, so you need to tell Mac OS X or Linux to remove it from ~/.ssh/known_hosts before using SSH again:
ssh-keygen -R 192.168.1.123 #(using your device's IP)
- Log back in after your TonidoPlug reboots using username "root" and password "root".