PandaBoard is an OMAP4430 platform designed to provide access to as many of the powerful features of the OMAP4430 Multimedia Processor as possible, while maintaining a low cost. This will allow the user to develop software to utilize the features of the powerful OMAP4430 processor. In addition, by providing expandability via onboard connectors, the PandaBoard supports development of additional capabilities/functionality.
The PandaBoard ES is the latest revision containing a TI OMAP4460 processor clocked at 1.2 GHz. Both the original and ES versions are supported.
OMAP4430 Processor Highlights:
- Dual-core ARM® Cortex™-A9 MPCore™ with Symmetric Multiprocessing (SMP) at 1 GHz each. Allows for 150% performance increase over previous ARM Cortex-A8 cores.
- Full HD (1080p) multi-standard video encode/decode
- Imagination Technologies’ POWERVR™ SGX540 graphics core supporting all major API's including OpenGL® ES v2.0, OpenGL ES v1.1, OpenVG v1.1 and EGL v1.3 and delivering 2x sustained performance compared to the previous SGX530 core
- Low power audio
Install to a SD card
Replace sdX in the following instructions with the device name for the SD card as it appears on your computer.
- Zero the beginning of the SD card:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M count=8
- Start fdisk to partition the SD card:
- At the fdisk prompt, delete old partitions and create a new one:
- Type o. This will clear out any partitions on the drive.
- Type p to list partitions. There should be no partitions left.
- Now type n, then p for primary, 1 for the first partition on the drive, 2048 for the first sector, and then press ENTER to accept the default last sector.
- Write the partition table and exit by typing w.
- Create and mount the ext4 filesystem:
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdX1 mkdir mnt mount /dev/sdX1 mnt
- Download and extract the root filesystem:
wget http://archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest.tar.gz bsdtar -xpf ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest.tar.gz -C mnt sync
- Install the U-Boot bootloader:
wget http://archlinuxarm.org/os/omap/boot/pandaboard/MLO wget http://archlinuxarm.org/os/omap/boot/pandaboard/u-boot.img dd if=MLO of=/dev/sdX count=1 seek=1 conv=notrunc bs=128k dd if=u-boot.img of=/dev/sdX count=2 seek=1 conv=notrunc bs=384k umount mnt sync
- Insert the SD card into the PandaBoard, connect ethernet, and apply 5V power.
- Use the serial console (with a null-modem adapter if needed) or SSH to the IP address given to the board by your router.
- Login as the default user alarm with the password alarm.
- The default root password is root.
Install the U-Boot package
- In order to receive updates to the U-Boot bootloader, after logging into the system type:
pacman -Syu uboot-pandaboard
- When prompted, press y and hit enter to flash the bootloader to the SD card.
Permanent MAC address
- Edit /boot/uEnv.txt
- Set smsc95xx.macaddr in the optargs variable, for example: