[Solved][nfs-utils] possibly broken on odroid-hc1, xu4

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

Re: [nfs-utils, nfsidmap 2.5.4-1] possibly broken on odroid-

Postby hfs99 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:10 pm

@jimduchek: I reached the same conclusion but wasn't confident enough to post it. I started to say good to have it confirmed, but that doesn't sound quite right in this case.
-----------
What next
  • I really really like the Arch documentation. All signal, no noise. And my setup seems to work at present. I'm thinking I'll stick with Arch / 2.5.3-1 unless/until it breaks.
  • Probably time to make a hardkernel ubuntu-minimal SD card for plan B though.
hfs99

Postby mcarni » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:41 pm

@jimduchek, @hfs99,

thanks, i will edit pacman.conf and hold tight ;-)

I will take a look at what @graysky did for the C2 on the odroid forum... might be completely over my head... but worth taking a look

thank you all

M
mcarni

Postby stefguy » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:46 pm

Howdy again,

@hfs99 Danke! It works
can confirm that downgrading works for me, too.

Greetings 8-)
stefguy

Postby mcarni » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:35 pm

guys,

one more question..
i have been reading on this forum and on the odroid forum in order to try to understand better the situation
i understand that the nfs-utils issue is linked to a relatively old kernel (4.14 in my case) and relatively new packages (version 2.5.4 of nfs-utils)

here is where i get a bit confused, i thought kernel alternatives were mainly to tweak performances (like Zen or Hardened)
but now i understand that in the ARM world kernel is very much linked to the specific hardware on which it has to run

I am understanding that archlinux arm is using a kernel derived from the mainline one and due to resources/time constraints the official kernel is 4.14 (I saw some attempts to build kernel 5.4 and 5.10 but it seems they didn't work out well)

while i am understanding that there is an Odroid/HK kernel 5.4.87 as part of their ubuntu release

thus the suggestion from hfs99 to get an ubuntu minimal card as plan B

here comes the question... i know it will be silly and one possible answer will be "go test it yourself and let us know"
but i count on your understanding for someone that is quite new to all this
so, is there any remote chance that extracting the 5.4 ubuntu kernel and "swapping" in some way the existing kernel and forcing the installation of the ubuntu 5.4 kernel might work?

i know it sounds silly even when typing it... there is for sure something that i am missing...

thanks

M
mcarni

Re: search fu

Postby hfs99 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:25 pm

Short non-answer is that I know less than you do; hope we get a knowledgeable response**.
----------
My guess is that the 5.4 kernel will have one or more kernel config differences that will cause issues, even after you puzzle out how to create zImage. Whether related to systemd, u-boot, scheduling, or what I don't know (since I'm guessing).

uname -r produces 4.14.180-03-ARCH, which seems to suggest that the Arch team built the kernel rather than using 4.14 from hardkernel. Which, in turn, suggests an increased likelihood of config differences.

I don't understand secure boot. Apparently (?) changes to initramfs are OK / irrelevant. Dunno about zImage.
----------
IIRC I searched the hardkernel forum for greysky's instructions on using the mainline kernel and came up empty. Did you find anything?

** Guru-bait requires subtle preparation. It has to look plausible, yet be wrong enough to need correction.
hfs99

Postby moonman » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:55 pm

linux-odroid-xu3 uses official sourcecode from hardkernel for any of their Exynos 5422 devices. You should be able to use mainline linux-armv7 kernel (5.11.2) with these devices. It certainly works on my xu4, but I haven't checked what isn't working specifically, but the device does come up and I can ssh into it.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby mcarni » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:56 pm

@hfs99 you really cracked me up with the comment about guru-summoning ;-)

hope i didn't sound like complaining/nagging, i felt that my post could have displeased some of the more knowledgeable people...
so i did some research, but fiddling around with kernel and u-boot compiling is not an easy topic...and a bit scary...

regarding @graysky notes on the thread he mentioned i did find this https://github.com/umiddelb/armhf/wiki/How-To-compile-a-custom-Linux-kernel-for-your-ARM-device
not sure if this is what he had in mind, but it seems quite reasonable... even I could follow what is written there...

@moonman that sounds quite encouraging, makes me think that in some way, at some point kernel 5.x will be just a pacman -Syu away ... super!

i guess that trying to compile mainline kernel and matching u-boot might be an interesting project for when I will return from summer vacation

I will keep you updated

thanks a lot

m
mcarni

Postby moonman » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:19 pm

It already is. You can just issue
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -S linux-armv7')
It will ask if you want to replace existing kernel, you answer 'Y' , install, reboot... boom you are running mainline ;)

linux-armv7 is mainline multi device kernel that works on many devices. That is if a device is supported in mainline kernel. Some devices are better supported than others, but it is to be expected that certain features will not work with mainline.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moonman
Developer

Postby mcarni » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:21 pm

i really don't know what to say...

@moonman super thanks
it did work (mkinitcpio spat some warning about modules not being added...but i felt brave and just went through...)

i installed mainline kernel
uname -a gives me: $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Linux odroid-HC1 5.11.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Feb 28 22:03:25 UTC 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux')

i removed the IgnorePkg for nfs-utils in pacman.conf so it got upgraded to 2.5.4-1
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -Qs nfs-utils
local/nfs-utils 2.5.4-1
Support programs for Network File Systems')

i checked showmount from one of the clients and it shows the right shares...

if i can ask one more question, what would be the typical things that might not work with mainline?
honestly, my HC1 was meant to be a file server replacement for an old Raspberrypi, so i don't expect much more
... might check if i can make it a minetest server for me and my son to play... ;-)

anyway, thank you very much

M
mcarni

Postby moonman » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:04 pm

Usually it's the video driver that's the problem so 3d, hardware decoding etc. dont' work. Odroid C1 for example has tons of problems like no USB hotplugging, no video output, terrible performance.
Exynos seems to be well supported in linux so my guess is that everything just works. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
moonman
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Packages