Small repo with some armv7 packages.

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

Small repo with some armv7 packages.

Postby MastaG » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:25 pm

Hi there,

I've openen a small repo with fixed packages for armv7.
I've submitted PR's for most of them.
https://github.com/MastaG/alarm

Please add it as the first repo, before the core one.
MastaG

Re: Small repo with some armv7 packages.

Postby TheEnthusiast » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:53 am

Thank you so much for this! Great work! I saw your post on the Odroid Forums too. Absolutely love the work that you do.

I currently have ArchLinux ARM running on this Samsung ChromeBook of mine (Peach-Pit) which has similar specs to that of the Odroid XU4. It has an Exynos 5420 CPU and Mali T628 GPU. I was able to get ArchLinux ARM up and running using the postmarketOS kernel (which contains patches that make Panfrost happy) and uboot and bootloader stuff thanks to someone named HexDump0815 (with his Velvet OS project which aims to bring the mainline Linux kernel to many ARM ChromeBooks running distros: Ubuntu and Debian). If you want to take a look at the postmarketOS kernel, here it is (for their currently latest officially released Linux kernel which is also at 6.1.7): https://gitlab.com/exynos5-mainline/linux/-/tree/v6.1.7-exynos5

The Chromium build that is in the repos for armv7 ArchLinux ARM is out of date and is also currently broken (as it was built against an older icu version). If you want quick "fix" (alternative) in terms of Chromium/Chromium-based browsers, install debtap and use it to make the Vivaldi (which is Chromium based browser) browser armhf Debian package into an ArchLinux package that's usable to pacman. I believe there's some media-related stuff that needs to be installed/added afterwards (for video playback is what I believe). I might take a look at that aspect more later on. It works otherwise, and GPU acceleration is decent (just make sure to enable things like raw draw, zero copy rasterization, override software rendering list, Wayland ozone layer, etc).

If you haven't tried it already, try building and installing mutter-dynamic-buffering from the AUR. If you use the yay AUR helper, you'll get an error saying that it isn't compatible with your architecture. I disregarded it and it built successfully and it works just fine. It's way smoother using the triple buffering enabled mutter fork than regular mutter.

The only main issue that I've managed to run across so far on Gnome (applies to regular mutter and the triple buffering mutter fork) is how the cursor sometimes gets laggy at random times and can be an inconvenience.

I tried to set up the environment file as suggested in this: https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/why-ubuntu-22-04-is-so-fast-and-how-to-make-it-faster/30369 (Ubuntu 22.04 also has mutter with triple buffering).

This causes a freeze or multiple freezes that are continuous (so basically unusable):
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'MUTTER_DEBUG_FORCE_KMS_MODE=simple')

Using this and removing the other environment variable makes no difference to the system (with the laggy cursor still being present):
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'MUTTER_DEBUG_ENABLE_ATOMIC_KMS=0')

Maybe I've missed something somewhere. Are you encountering the same issue?
TheEnthusiast

Return to Packages