Which KDE package is giving me troubles?

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

Which KDE package is giving me troubles?

Postby MrDowntempo » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:55 am

Hi all!
I'm running alarm on a chromebook flip. It's a wonderful little machine with a rockchip armv7h cpu, 4gb of ram and a relatively beefy Mali GPU. Currently I'm using lxqt with kwin as the wm because kwin is GLES accelerated. Kwin actually runs quicker than openbox because it's offloading work from the weak cpu to the gpu that isn't doing anything else. Ideally though, I'd like to be running KDE. KDE is better suited for touchscreens and has a few other widgets etc that I miss. With the KWIN_COMPOSE=O2ES env flag set, kwin runs GLES accelerated, and qt is already compiled to be GLES accelerated too. In LXQT everything runs smooth like butter, but in KDE, there are all sorts of graphical glitches. It may turn out that KDE is just too heavy overall, but I'd like to see if I could sort out these glitches and if that results in improved performance. The problem seems to be that the desktop doesn't redraw correctly. For instance when I click on the start menu, it fades in all pretty like it should, but when it disappears it leaves a black box where it was temporarily. Other seemingly random things like minimizing windows have similar problems. Is there another env flag I need to set, or are there other packages in KDE that need to be compiled differently to include GLES acceleration?
Thanks!
MrDowntempo

Re: Which KDE package is giving me troubles?

Postby klundry » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:25 pm

Hey there, I'm running LXQt with Kwin as well and it seems to be the best fit for the C100P I've found. I had the same weird behavior from plasma that you experienced.

Just curious if you've had any luck with it since your post.
klundry

Return to Packages