[SOLVED] 404 error when upgrading with -Su

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

[SOLVED] 404 error when upgrading with -Su

Postby Malvineous » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to upgrade the packages on my Raspberry Pi (armv6h) however I am stuck because I am getting an error which doesn't make sense:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
# pacman -Su
[...]
:: Retrieving packages...
error: failed retrieving file 'linux-api-headers-4.7-1-armv6h.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
warning: failed to retrieve some files
error: failed retrieving file 'glibc-2.24-2-armv6h.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 404
error: failed retrieving file 'gcc-libs-6.3.1-1-armv6h.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 403
error: failed retrieving file 'gpgme-1.7.1-2-armv6h.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 403
error: failed retrieving file 'openresolv-3.8.1-1-any.pkg.tar.xz' from mirror.archlinuxarm.org : The requested URL returned error: 403
error: failed to commit transaction (unexpected error)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
')
It looks like what normally happens when it has been too long since a sync and the old files are no longer on the server, except:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
# pacman -Sy
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
alarm is up to date
aur is up to date
')
Looking at the server it looks like linux-api-headers is up to version 4.10.1 so I don't understand why it's trying to download version 4.7.1 which seems *very* old.

I have tried to run pacman -Syy to force an update but there's no change. I tried using mirror.archlinuxarm.org and au.mirror.archlinuxarm.org with the same result. I upgraded to pacman-5.0.1-4 but there was no change.

What have I missed?
Last edited by Malvineous on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malvineous

Re: 404 error when upgrading with -Su

Postby graysky » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:09 pm

Never `pacman -Su` always `pacman -Syu` ... your syncdb is horribly out-of-date and pointing to files that don't exist.
graysky
Developer

Postby Malvineous » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:14 pm

If you run `pacman -Sy` then `pacman -Su` immediately it is pretty much the same thing.

I just discovered the problem though. The Australian mirror is broken. If I comment out mirror.archlinuxarm.org and au.mirror.archlinuxarm.org and use another one (I used the US/California one) then everything works fine.

`pacman -Sy` also updated core/extra/community after switching to the US mirror (half the time I was getting 403 errors on the AU mirror, half the time it would work), so looks like the Australian mirror is somehow getting file updates but not .db/sync updates...not sure who to report that to.
Malvineous

Postby nemykal » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:43 pm

Hey,

Sorry about that, it's been fixed up now. Server had been rebooted by the provider and wasn't syncing properly since then.
nemykal

Postby graysky » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:59 pm

Read this on my phone and must have scrolled past the part where you used `-Sy` ... glad you figured it out. Out-of-sync mirror was the problem.
graysky
Developer

Re: [SOLVED] 404 error when upgrading with -Su

Postby Malvineous » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:47 am

No worries, and many thanks for fixing the problem! Got a few 403 errors today but I think the server may have been syncing right at that moment - just tried it again now and it looks good.
Malvineous

Return to Packages