[odroidc1+][unbound 1.6.1-3] Process stops immediately

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

[odroidc1+][unbound 1.6.1-3] Process stops immediately

Postby Anakon » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:39 am

I have a problem with unbound version 1.6.1-3 on an Odroid C1+.

After updating the package from 1.6.1-1 to 1.6.1-3, when starting the service, the unbound process starts then stops immediately.
After running it through strace (log here : http://sprunge.us/FhOB), it seems it's trying to call getrandom(), then exits. This system call was created in kernel version 3.17 and the current archlinuxarm kernel for the C1+ is 3.10.104, so I think that's where the problem is.

The exact same package runs fine on a raspberry pi 2 with the same configuration.
Downgrading to unbound version 1.6.1-1 makes it work again.
There's no upstream change between version 1.6.1-1 and 1.6.1-3 so it's maybe a compile problem.
Anakon

Re: [odroidc1+][unbound 1.6.1-3] Process stops immediately

Postby cmarinas » Fri May 05, 2017 1:57 pm

I've just noticed a similar problem with python2.7 (and possibly openssl) on odroid-c1+. The packages were compiled on a different machine which has a newer kernel with getrandom(2) implemented but when run on odroid-c1 under the 3.10 kernel, the syscall is not available. You can stop upgrading certain packages but given that libraries are affected, things will fall apart soon. The solution is to either have packages compiled specifically for odroid-c1's kernel or get getrandom(2) back-ported to the odroid-c1's kernel (even better if the kernel is upgraded to something recent but I haven't seen much effort).
cmarinas

Re: [odroidc1+][unbound 1.6.1-3] Process stops immediately

Postby Anakon » Mon May 15, 2017 6:49 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('cmarinas', 'T')he solution is to either have packages compiled specifically for odroid-c1's kernel or get getrandom(2) back-ported to the odroid-c1's kernel (even better if the kernel is upgraded to something recent but I haven't seen much effort).

Yes, that's what I thought at first. Unfortunately it has to be more than that. I built the package directly on my odroid-c1 from https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/tree/master/community/unbound and I get the same behavior.
Anakon

Return to Packages