Thunderbird beta on aarch64

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

Thunderbird beta on aarch64

Postby mcloaked » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:21 pm

Recently I bought an Acer Chromebook R13 which has an excellent install guide on the archlinuxarm web pages. One feature that I missed once it was fully operational was Thunderbird beta as opposed to stock Thunderbird since the beta is at version 59.0b2 and runs without any problems, whereas the stock version is 52. I posted on the package request section of this forum but nobody replied, so I thought it would be a useful exercise to learn how to run a build on my own systems,

It took an evening to research and find out how to run the distributed build system (distcc) along with the armv8 toolchain for cross-compiling, but I got it all set up with the chromebook as master and my i7 laptop as x86_64 client on my local network, and ran the build from the chromebook using the arch linux aur PKGBUILD for thunderbird beta, with the i7 laptop taking the heavy cpu load for the intensive compile processes. It took about two and a quarter hours to build, and then completed and produced the package file thunderbird-beta-59.0b2-3-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz and that installed just fine on the chromebook using pacman -U.

Copying my Thunderbird profile from another machine to the chromebook, thunderbird beta runs without problems on the chromebook now, with a full plasma desktop as a usable everyday lightweight laptop replacement. I guess if there is any interest from anyone on this forum for having thunderbird beta in the repos, it would be a useful addition to the package set, and runs very well as a day to day email client, so I think would actually be a useful addition to the AUR packages for archlinuxarm. Perhaps very few are running a full graphical desktop on arm machines?
mcloaked

Return to Packages