util-linux-ng replaced by util-linux

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

util-linux-ng replaced by util-linux

Postby jakabin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:20 pm

As of January 2011, util-linux-ng has been renamed back to util-linux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Util-linux).

initscripts 2011.06.4-1 does not work well with util-linux-ng because of the new inittab

The following error is displayed at boot:
/sbin/agetty: invalid option -- 's'
Usage: agetty [-8hiLmUw] [-l login_program] [-t timeout] [-I initstring] [-H login_host] baud_rate,... line [termtype]
or [-hiLmw] [-l login_program] [-t timeout] [-I initstring] [-H login_host] line baud_rate,... [termtype]

Replacing util-linux-ng by util-linux, fix the error.
In Archlinux this has already been done.
jakabin

Re: util-linux-ng replaced by util-linux

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:48 pm

This is already up to date in our most current repo.

Status of package 'util-linux' : repo=>core, src=>abs, state=>done
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby kmihelich » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:38 pm

Please actually do your research, and even properly update your system, before telling us to "fix the error." The error is yours.

If you had let pacman do what it's supposed to as a package manager, that is: manage your packages, you would have never run into this. The PKGBUILD for util-linux makes this crystal clear:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'replaces=('linux32' 'util-linux-ng')
conflicts=('linux32' 'util-linux-ng' 'e2fsprogs<1.41.8-2')')

That says that it conflicts with and replaces util-linux-ng. In layman terms that means that if you have util-linux-ng installed, and you do an -Syu, pacman will replace util-linux-ng. When this happens it does prompt you yes or no to do this, with yes being the default action. With respect to Linux in general, when a default is yes you should only choose no if you know what you're doing, and vice versa. This was the case when people ended up with broken systems by saying no to replace heimdal with krb5. Let pacman do its thing, or you end up in your situation. Don't blame us when you decide to override what pacman wants to do.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby jakabin » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:15 am

I'm sorry if I sounded rude, it was not my intention.
Today I did a fresh install using PlugApps-Linux-2011.02-rootfs.tar.gz
following all the oficial guide.
When I ran:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'pacman -Suy ')
it only asked about replacing heimdal, nothing about util-linux.

After rebooted, I could no longer connect my DockStar and using a CA-42 cable I couldn't get a shell.

For beginners it would be totally frustrating and didn't want that to happen because I love this project and the more people involved the better.

Sorry for anything, and continue with this great work.
jakabin

Return to Packages