[linux-gru] Black screen on boot after kernel upgrade

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

[linux-gru] Black screen on boot after kernel upgrade

Postby ThirstyShark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi, after upgrading to 4.4-166 on the linux-gru kernel (i am using a samsung chromebook plus) the device no longer boots arch linux. After clicking Ctrl-U at the boot screen, the screen goes black. Normally, after about 2 seconds (after the rockchip driver loads) the screen turns on and the boot process continues. However, after the upgrade, the screen simply does not turn on.

I had wiped my package cache at some point, so I didn't have an older kernel saved, so I extracted 4.4-164 from the linux-gru-latest image. After booting that kernel, however, wifi no longer worked, the wireless interface didn't even show up. I have reflashed the kernel several times to no avail on either version. Wifi still works fine in ChromeOS which is probably on a way older kernel.

I have been using alarm for a couple months and have done several kernel upgrades fine until now.

So, I am looking for either a new kernel version that boots properly, another kernel version that is saved in an archive somewhere (I counl't find a working package archive), or a way to fix wifi on the older kernel (I was using that kernel previously with wifi fine; but after upgrading and downgrading it has stopped for some reason).
ThirstyShark

Re: [linux-gru] Black screen on boot after kernel upgrade

Postby tuxcoder » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:05 pm

I ran into the same problem last night on my Samsung Chromebook Plus. I didn't have time to manually revert to my previous kernel, and probably won't get a chance to until Tuesday evening.

Off-topic "comedy" of errors: whole-home humidifier sprung a leak 2 days ago so I shut it off --> house humidity dropped a lot --> everyone is "sparky" now as I say --> after this "gru" model kernel problem I grabbed my Samsung Chromebook 2 ("peach pit" model) as a spare --> inadvertently and very indirectly shocked it, which caused it to cold-reset and also magically disabled USB boot.

:cry:

I got the Chromebook 2 back into Arch ARM pretty easily, at least.
tuxcoder

Postby ramsey » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:57 am

Same problem here too. I reinstalled everything and had 4.4.164. That has black screen on shutdown, but works. I updated to mainline kernel, and no more black screens, however, now no usb-storage works. :(
ramsey

Postby TheCycoONE » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:04 pm

I've hit this issue as well. How did you go about getting an old kernel on it with the black screen?
TheCycoONE

Postby ramsey » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:45 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('TheCycoONE', 'I')'ve hit this issue as well. How did you go about getting an old kernel on it with the black screen?

I reflashed my microSD card and started over. I have kept a copy of the tarball and sig with the 4.4.164 kernel too.
ramsey

Postby TheCycoONE » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:59 am

I asked on irc and was instructed to chroot into the sd card and install an old kernel from the package cache. I did that, and flashed it manually with dd (from the install instructions) and that worked.

Thanks
TheCycoONE

Postby bneumeier » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:28 pm

I have the same issue, also on samsung chromebook plus; but I do not have a package cache containing an old kernel. Is there a place I can get a working kernel?
bneumeier

Postby ramsey » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:51 am

Turns out USB storage is working, just not FAT filesystems. I noticed a ISO9660 would mount, then tried an ext4 and that worked too. But if I plug a FAT formatted disk in, I get nothing in /dev/sd* and dmesg spits out,

[ 599.085125] cdn-dp fec00000.dp: [drm:cdn_dp_pd_event_work [rockchipdrm]] Not connected. Disabling cdn
[ 612.236929] cdn-dp fec00000.dp: [drm:cdn_dp_pd_event_work [rockchipdrm]] Not connected. Disabling cdn

I can work with this. If I find out why it doesn't like FAT before thread is locked, I'll post back.
ramsey

Postby summers » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:14 am

Is it able to load the fat kernel modules? try something like $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'modprobe fat'). It should then be listed in $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'cat /proc/filesystems').
summers

Return to Packages