[gcc] Version mismatch?

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

[gcc] Version mismatch?

Postby allsey87 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:28 pm

This might be a bit of a newbie question. I can see from the following URL that Kevin Mihelich has been updating GCC to the latest versions. At the time of writing, this was version 9.2.0-3 (24 hours ago).

https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/armv7h/gcc/log

However, after updating the files database and searching it with pacman, I get the following on my board (an ODROID-XU4).
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@alarm ~]# pacman -F gcc
core/gcc 8.3.0-1 (base-devel) [installed]
usr/bin/gcc
extra/bash-completion 2.9-1
usr/share/bash-completion/completions/gcc
community/ccache 3.7.4-1
usr/lib/ccache/bin/gcc
community/colorgcc 1.4.5-1
usr/lib/colorgcc/bin/gcc
community/distcc 3.3.3-1
usr/lib/distcc/bin/gcc
usr/lib/distcc/gcc')
Why is pacman configured to use the GCC version from 6 months ago?
allsey87

Re: [gcc] Version mismatch?

Postby summers » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:46 pm

what does $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'gcc -v') give?
summers

Postby allsey87 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:59 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@alarm ~]# gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf/8.3.0/lto-wrapper
Target: armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf
Configured with: /build/gcc/src/gcc/configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-bugurl=https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/issues --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,go,lto,objc,obj-c++ --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --with-system-zlib --with-isl --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-clocale=gnu --disable-libstdcxx-pch --disable-libssp --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-linker-build-id --enable-lto --enable-plugin --enable-install-libiberty --with-linker-hash-style=gnu --enable-gnu-indirect-function --disable-multilib --disable-werror --enable-checking=release --enable-default-pie --enable-default-ssp --host=armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf --build=armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf --with-arch=armv7-a --with-float=hard --with-fpu=vfpv3-d16
Thread model: posix
gcc version 8.3.0 (GCC)')
allsey87

Postby summers » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:16 am

Ah OK- yes definitely stuck on 8.3, though it worth checking if the pakage name was wrong.

My guess is that the pkg doesn't build correctly, so when the scripts for setting up the packages fail, it doesn't get updated. Kevin may know more.

Guess all you could do is to download the pkgbuild, and make the package yourself with makepkg. Then you can see what happens, and maybe fix. Beware compiling gcc on an arm machine is likely to be very slow ...
summers

Postby summers » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:43 pm

OK I've started the makepkg on my pocket beagle - it will probably take days to finish.

Anyway looks like the problems are:

1) Jakub Jelinek signature is wrong
2) 0001-ARMv5-disable-LDRD-STRD.patch doesn't apply

Still need to check if the patch is needed - I've just removed for now. Adding the signature is easy.

PKGBUILD looks like its set up to cross compile on an 64bit desk top machine, which makes sense, as it will be painly slow on my armv7 ...
summers

Postby summers » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:26 am

compile failed after 24h or so, when trying to link cc1. Need to look into what the problem is, could be binutils as its during linking. I usually compile binutils at the same time as gcc; but arch isn't set up to do this.

Anyway will try compile outside of the arch package set up, and see how far I get ...

Hmmm, more reading, and probably its exhausting the 512MB of memory on the pocket beagle. I'll see if I can move to my odroid-c2; that has 2GB memory ...
summers

Postby summers » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:04 pm

OK it compiled odroid-c2 the armv8 alas, so looks like the two problems below were the fault.

I'll see if I can work out how to put the signing in the PKGBUILD, and see if I can check if the other patch is needed (says only for armv6).

Then see if I can work out how to patch in arch arm, its not clear where to send things.

David.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'summers@odroid-c2 ~]$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu/9.2.0/lto-wrapper
Target: aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu
Configured with: /home/summers/gcc/PKGBUILDs/core/gcc/src/gcc/configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-bugurl=https://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs/issues --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,go,lto,objc,obj-c++,d --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --with-system-zlib --with-isl --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-clocale=gnu --disable-libstdcxx-pch --disable-libssp --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-linker-build-id --enable-lto --enable-plugin --enable-install-libiberty --with-linker-hash-style=gnu --enable-gnu-indirect-function --disable-multilib --disable-werror --enable-checking=release --enable-default-pie --enable-default-ssp --host=aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu --build=aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu --with-arch=armv8-a --enable-fix-cortex-a53-835769 --enable-fix-cortex-a53-843419 gdc_include_dir=/usr/include/dlang/gdc
Thread model: posix
gcc version 9.2.0 (GCC)
')

OK the problem with the patch is its looking for:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '(arm_arch5e && ARM_DOUBLEWORD_ALIGN ')
and what 9.2.0 has is
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '(arm_arch5te && ARM_DOUBLEWORD_ALIGN')
and patch wants to change it to:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '(arm_arch6 && ARM_DOUBLEWORD_ALIGN')
So given that gcc has changed what arm arch to switch this on at, is do we still want to aim it at armv6.

I try and chase down who added this patch ...

OK patch was done by: Kevin Mihelich <kevin@archlinuxarm.org> - so will have to ask him.
summers

Postby summers » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:19 pm

OK Kevin is on the case, but as he just does it in his free time, it will get done, when it gets done.

The signature is correct btw, so why I had to apply it by hand isn't clear. So its really only the patch that needs updating, and thats straight forward. Hassle is the slow compile, so that as much as anything means a slow roll out.

Anyway it will be fixed at some point ...
summers

Return to Packages