avahi mDNS access slow

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

avahi mDNS access slow

Postby keithspg » Sun May 10, 2020 10:00 pm

I am looking for avahi help, I think. I have a sound appliance running on an RPi (mpd, web server, other web based services all served on y LAN). At times there have been issues with avahi needing to be restarted to continue running/functioning. Now, though, I get extremely slow avahi response and when I do connect, I get only a partial response. I have nginx serving the localhost site. If I access the site with its ip address it is very responsive and fast. If I attempt it with the *.local address, I can get to the main site, but it is very slow and some functionality fails. It seems that js is the big problem, but I am not really sure. If I access the site with its IP address (v4 or v6), it i almost immediate and very responsive. If I try to load the main page by the *.local accress, it takes 5 or more seconds to reload (ctrl f5). I have looked with the web console in Firefox and can see that certain js scripts take much longer to load 5000ms versus 50ms. Others do not load at all.

My network setup:
I have disabled (masked) systemd-resolved and am using connman/iwd to make my connections. I have set up my nsswitch.conf hosts line like this:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'hosts: files mdns [NOTFOUND=return] dns')
I have tried mdns4_minimal in nsswitch.conf as well and get no difference.
ping is fast even to other *.local addresses on my LAN

Looking for any pointers as to how to resolve this.

Thanks

Keith
keithspg

Re: avahi mDNS access slow

Postby keithspg » Mon May 11, 2020 11:33 pm

In case anyone runs across this with a similar problem. I was able to fix a big portion of it by adding these 2 lines to my avahi config.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '/etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf
disallow-other-stacks=yes
enable-reflector=yes')

Still have a Firefox thing where it will not display a page (works in IE,Edge, Opera, Chrome).
keithspg

Return to Packages