Chromium not working again

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

Chromium not working again

Postby hmeyer » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:10 am

trying from LXDE desktop, chromium will not start, launching from the command line I get:
usr/lib/chromium/chromium: error while loading shared libraries: libre2.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
May be mismatched versions?
Unfortunately I deleted my cache /var/cache/pacman/pkg, so I cannot go back.
Trying to get an older chromium at http://tardis.tiny-vps.com no luck, the url not responding currently.
In the meantime I am using firefox...
This is an up-to-date Raspi3
uname -a : Linux alarmpi 5.4.83-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 14 15:43:29 UTC 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux
hmeyer

Re: Chromium not working again

Postby graysky » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:28 pm

Chromium on aarch64 should be fine, but there are issues with armv7h build for a while now. They have some python script running during the build that's blowing out the available memory on my v7 builders, still trying to find a workaround for that.
graysky
Developer

Postby hmeyer » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Got contact to tardis.tiny-vps.com , but no luck, tried the last three chromium-editions:
chromium-84.0.4147.89-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz 2020-Jul
chromium-85.0.4183.83-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz 2020-Aug
chromium-85.0.4183.102-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz 2020-Sep
Neither of them worked: error while loading shared libraries: libre2.so.8...
Thank you very much to TARDIS, wherever in the world shehe lives:
A TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension In Space) is a spaceship invented by the Time Lords that can travel through space and time
hmeyer

chromium is broken

Postby Nikita790 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:22 pm

when launching chromeium i get this error
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: error while loading shared libraries: libre2.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
')
Nikita790

Postby graysky » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:05 pm

MOD NOTE: merged threads and moved to dev>packages.
graysky
Developer

Postby Lander1979 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:25 pm

I have had this error but a day or so ago it has changed to not being able to find libicu18n.so.67 similar to the Thunderbird issue.
Lander1979

Postby mogwai » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:07 pm

@graysky:
I've been able to build all the latest chromium versions of the last couple of months on armv7h without any problems. This was using the original PKGBUILD from github and the official distcc-based flow on an 8GB RPI4 running an aarch64 kernel with armv7h userland running in an nspawn container. Similar things hold for firefox and thunderbird; I can even compile them with webrtc and some optimizations re-enabled (both aarch64 and armv7h).

Let me know if I can be of any assistance? Maybe helping to build packages or making the build hardware available to you in some way?

(PS: I started building my own packages since several months initially to (re-)enable such things as webrtc (on firefox) and widevine (on chromium) for my own use.)
mogwai

Postby bloke » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:43 pm

Guys,
Sorry to hassle you on this one, when will chromium be working again?

I haven't found a workaround at this stage, tried downgrade and there are a number of dependencies broken.

I tried to compile newer version from the AUR and it spits chips about ninja's on steps 30 and 33? :mrgreen:

ninja: Entering directory `out/Release'
[30/42855] CXX obj/base/third_party/double_conversion/double_conversion/cached-powers.o
FAILED: obj/base/third_party/double_conversion/double_conversion/cached-powers.o
clang++ -MMD -MF obj/base/third_party/double_conversion/double_conversion/cached-powers.o.d -DUSE_UDEV -DUSE_AURA=1 -DUSE_GLIB=1 -DUSE_NSS_CERTS=1 -DUSE_OZONE=1 -DUSE_X11=1 -DOFFICIAL_BUILD -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -DNO_UNWIND_TABLES -D_GNU_SOURCE -DCR_CLANG_REVISION=\"llvmorg-12-init-5035-gd0abc757-3\" -D__STDC_CONSTANT_MACROS -D__STDC_FORMAT_MACROS -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -DNDEBUG -DNVALGRIND -DDYNAMIC_ANNOTATIONS_ENABLED=0 -I../.. -Igen -fno-strict-aliasing --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -fstack-protector -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -fPIC -pthread -fcolor-diagnostics -fmerge-all-constants -fcrash-diagnostics-dir=../../tools/clang/crashreports -mllvm -instcombine-lower-dbg-declare=0 -mllvm -enable-dse-memoryssa=false --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf -march=armv7-a -mfloat-abi=hard -mtune=generic-armv7-a -Xclang -fdebug-compilation-dir -Xclang . -no-canonical-prefixes -mfpu=neon -mthumb -Wall -Wextra -Wimplicit-fallthrough -Wunreachable-code -Wthread-safety -Wextra-semi -Wno-missing-field-initializers -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-c++11-narrowing -Wno-unneeded-internal-declaration -Wno-undefined-var-template -Wno-psabi -Wno-ignored-pragma-optimize -Wno-implicit-int-float-conversion -Wno-final-dtor-non-final-class -Wno-builtin-assume-aligned-alignment -Wno-deprecated-copy -Wno-non-c-typedef-for-linkage -Wno-max-tokens -O2 -fno-ident -fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -fno-omit-frame-pointer -g0 -ftrivial-auto-var-init=pattern -fvisibility=hidden -Wheader-hygiene -Wstring-conversion -Wtautological-overlap-compare -Wno-unused-const-variable -Wno-unused-function -std=c++14 -fno-trigraphs -Wno-trigraphs -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -D__DATE__= -D__TIME__= -D__TIMESTAMP__= -march=armv7-a -mfloat-abi=hard -mfpu=neon -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong -fno-plt -Wno-builtin-macro-redefined -Wno-unknown-warning-option -c ../../base/third_party/double_conversion/double-conversion/cached-powers.cc -o obj/base/third_party/double_conversion/double_conversion/cached-powers.o
../../base/third_party/double_conversion/double-conversion/cached-powers.cc:28:10: fatal error: 'climits' file not found
#include <climits>
^~~~~~~~~
1 error generated.

I am guessing the above is v8-xx dependencies?
bloke

Postby hashworks » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:06 pm

I tried to build chromium with distcc without success, so I came up with a temporary workaround.

chromium-85.0.4183.83-1-armv7h misses the following library files (and links):
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'libre2.so.8
libre2.so.8.0.0
libicudata.so.67
libicudata.so.67.1
libicuuc.so.67
libicuuc.so.67.1
libicui18n.so.67
libicui18n.so.67.1')

While one could install old icu and libre2 packages, I would not recommend it since it would break other stuff. Instead, it is possible to extract the missing library files and place them in /usr/lib yourself. You can retreive those packages from tardis and do it manually or use this archive (just extract it in root).

Afterwards, chromium starts again. However, this really is a bad practice and you should remove those files once a new chromium build is out.
hashworks

Chromium: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.s

Postby Torxed » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:47 pm

Hi.

Just installed according to https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8/broadcom/raspberry-pi-3, and installed:

xorg-server xorg-xinit xf86-video-fbturbo-git alacritty chromium awesome

After smoothly getting into awesome, i run: chromium
Which results in: /usr/lib/chromium/chromium: error while loading shared libraries: libicui18n.so.67: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Tried to solve this by manually installing icu: pacman -S icu
To no avail.

Have updated the keyring to the latest and done a sudo pacman -Syu, rebooted, and tried the whole thing again.
Searching around people seams to have had this issue before?
Torxed

Next

Return to Packages