[linux-firmware] Raspberry pi 4 wlan0 is missing

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

Re: [linux-firmware] Raspberry pi 4 wlan0 is missing

Postby robg » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:21 pm

I see. That's aggravating. Judging from the description in the submitted fix, it's odd that this issue managed to slip by. Let's see how long it will take for them to resolve it.
robg

Postby blacklight » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:06 pm

This is not the first time that some firmware upgrade breaks basic functionalities such as Wi-Fi.

And it's not the first time that things remain broken for weeks or months, with users writing pages over pages of reports.

I have three RPi3 devices running Arch. It's been weeks that I have to run one of them over USB adapter, another one connected via eth0 and on the other one I've just given up and installed RaspberryPi OS.

Such macroscopic bugs shouldn't affect released packages. Simple smoke tests should prevent issues such as "the Wi-Fi module breaks on boot while loading the stock firmware". And, when they do, they should be tackled IMMEDIATELY, without maintainers coming up with "oh, I don't have a rpi0 to replicate the issue, sorry" (had you guys tested in on *ANY* RPi in the first place before committing, you'd have replicated the issue).

Such a shame that Arch Linux for ARM lies in such a state of carelessness.
blacklight

Postby OldFart2020 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:07 am

"Such a shame that Arch Linux for ARM lies in such a state of carelessness."

I share your frustration. The core firmware wasn't tested???

I submitted a bug report to the parent Arch Linux because that's where this package comes from, no separate repo for ARM. They rejected it because they don't support ARM. There seems to be bad blood between the 2 camps.
OldFart2020

Postby graysky » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:56 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('OldFart2020', '&')quot;Such a shame that Arch Linux for ARM lies in such a state of carelessness."
I share your frustration. The core firmware wasn't tested???

The bug was introduced upstream. Arch ARM users helped to discover and work with upstream to fix. This is normal on rolling release distros in general and not unique to Arch or Arch ARM. If that is not to your liking then please use another distro.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('OldFart2020', 'I') submitted a bug report to the parent Arch Linux because that's where this package comes from, no separate repo for ARM. They rejected it because they don't support ARM. There seems to be bad blood between the 2 camps.

Why would you expect Arch's packagers/developers to have an interest in a bug specific to hardware they do not support? Further, it is an upstream bug so any fix done would be a work-around.

EDIT: if FS#67722 was your bug report, they told you as much.
graysky
Developer

Postby OldFart2020 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:32 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'W')hy would you expect Arch's packagers/developers to have an interest in a bug specific to hardware they do not support?

Because it's hosted in their repository and I found no place on the upstream page to report it there as I said in my initial report which seems to have been removed from their bug reports. FS#67722 is not it.

Your dismissive attitude is exactly why at least 2 of us feel this project suffers from a lack of give-a-shit.
OldFart2020

Postby graysky » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:42 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('OldFart2020', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'W')hy would you expect Arch's packagers/developers to have an interest in a bug specific to hardware they do not support?

Because it's hosted in their repository and I found no place on the upstream page to report it there as I said in my initial report which seems to have been removed from their bug reports. FS#67722 is not it.

Your dismissive attitude is exactly why at least 2 of us feel this project suffers from a lack of give-a-shit.

You're free to use another distro as I mentioned above. As I also mentioned, bugs are to be expected on a rolling release distro, even on non-rolling release distros for that matter.

As to having bug reports removed from the system, I am unaware of that. They can be closed but I have yet to see one removed with no record it was created.
My AUR packagesMy zsh configsStreamzap remote config
graysky
Developer

Postby moonman » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:50 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('OldFart2020', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'W')hy would you expect Arch's packagers/developers to have an interest in a bug specific to hardware they do not support?

Please remember that both, ArchLinux and ArchLinuxARM

- are bleeding edge = newest software, which is usually less tested
- are "targeting and accommodating competent Linux users" (quoting from home page)

Upstream bugs are just that - bugs that have been introduced upstream and they need to be fixed upstream. So get on the dev mail list/forum/bug tracker upstream and get the developer to fix it.

If you find yourself whining and complaining instead of trying to learn, help someone, or contribute in any other way, please don't waste your and our time with useless comments on this forum and move on to a more nubie-friendly distro with well tested, but much older software, where someone will be holding your hand every step of the way. Everyone will be happier this way.

and please stay on subject...
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Broken: linux-firmware-20210315.3568f96-1

Postby nomadx » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:53 am

Hate to see the people who are actually helping take flack :(

That said the fix (IgnorePkg = linux-firmware) is still needed, new to Arch and this thread was very helpful!

Using arm7 on model 4b and it's working with:

linux-raspberrypi4 5.10.25-1
linux-firmware 20201218.646f159-1
firmware-raspberrypi 20210224-1

Out of curiosity how many of you have wifi issues on other OS's? Even on raspberry os I can't seem to connect to NetworkManager hotspots but everything else works... Buggy hardware or just the modules are we thinking?

Cheers!
Nomad
nomadx

Re: Broken: linux-firmware-20210315.3568f96-1

Postby graysky » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:10 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('nomadx', 'T')hat said the fix (IgnorePkg = linux-firmware) is still needed, new to Arch and this thread was very helpful!

Using arm7 on model 4b and it's working with:

linux-raspberrypi4 5.10.25-1
linux-firmware 20201218.646f159-1

That should NOT be needed. Update-to-date system on RPi 4B/aarch64 and 4B/armv7h; everything works:
linux-raspberrypi4 5.10.25-2
raspberrypi-firmware 20210319-1
graysky
Developer

Postby hagardunor » Wed May 19, 2021 8:24 am

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, this works:

local/linux-firmware 20201218.646f159-1
local/firmware-raspberrypi 20210224-1
local/raspberrypi-firmware 20210513-1

If I upgrade linux-firmware to anything newer than 20201218 then wifi is still broken.
Using arm7 on 4b.
hagardunor

PreviousNext

Return to Packages