[mingw-w64-gcc] and cross-compilers in general

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

[mingw-w64-gcc] and cross-compilers in general

Postby Amphitryon » Fri May 14, 2021 2:59 pm

On Arch X86, I use the mingw-w64-gcc cross compiler to be able to generate executables for Windows. I found it wasn't in the set of pre-built packages so I thought I`d just built it myself from the AUR. The snag is that there is a circular build dependency between mingw-w64-gcc and mingw-w64-crt.

How do I get around that? By cross-compiling it from a machine that does have both packages installed, i.e. from X86? It's obviously possible to build cross-compiler packages wehere the package is being built on the host architecture, and I'm sure gcc supports doing it the other way round, i.e. compiling on architecture 1 to run on architecture 2 with the final target being architecture 3 but how do I persuade makepkg to work with that, i.e. how to I run makepkg on my X86 Arch PC and have it build a package of mingw-w64-gcc which is intended to install on Arch ARM?

Related to this, I notice the ADA compiler is missing from the set of native gcc packages. The single PKGBUILD that produces all the other gcc packages seems to have it, but again it needs an exising ADA compiler to compile. i.e. usually an older version of itself. Could this be resolved by cross-compiling too?
Amphitryon

Re: [mingw-w64-gcc] and cross-compilers in general

Postby solskogen » Wed May 19, 2021 7:13 am

You'll need to build/install https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mingw-w64-gcc-base before crt.
solskogen

Return to Packages