[binutils/glibc/libtool/gcc] noautobuild packages outdated

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

[binutils/glibc/libtool/gcc] noautobuild packages outdated

Postby dobo » Tue May 18, 2021 2:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that binutils, glibc, libtool and gcc packages are out of sync with the PKGBUILDs github repository (at least for the armv7h architecture). They all seem to contain noautobuild flag. I presume that someone forgot to manually update those packages. It has been already reported in here and there but without any response. Can someone from ALARM maintainers can take a look at this issue?

Thanks in advance!
dobo

Re: [binutils/glibc/libtool/gcc] noautobuild packages outdat

Postby moonman » Wed May 19, 2021 7:58 am

There may be issues with new toolchain for ARM so while PKGBUILDs have been updated, packages haven't been pushed out for general public yet. They will be in the repos once the issues are ironed out.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby solskogen » Thu May 20, 2021 10:39 am

What issues might that be? Perhaps someone can help :)
solskogen

Postby Amphitryon » Sat May 22, 2021 8:04 pm

I noticed that these tools were up to version 11 on X86 but not on ARM so I thought I'd try building them myself. The first issue is that the compiler option -Werror=format-security from /etc/makepkg.conf causes an early faiilure where a format string is passed in to a function which in turn uses a printf-like function.

Removing that option allows gcc to build but there are significant failures in the test suite. The PKGBUILD does allow it to be packaged despite the failures but then there is another error in doing the packaging. This obviously needs some work before it will be ready to use.
Amphitryon

Postby graysky » Sat May 22, 2021 8:43 pm

Kevin is the real authority with this, but he is busy with limited free time. I have been playing with the build in my next-toolchain branch. Feel free to contribute knowing I am not expert with toolchain idiosyncrasies. Currently building gcc having passed the initial errors. Perhaps headed for the breakage you mentioned.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# toolchain build order: linux-api-headers->glibc->binutils->gcc->binutils->glibc')

EDIT: The build of gcc took 14 hours to complete but finished successfully. Once I finish building libtool, I will share these packages if people want to test them out, see: http://repo-ck.com/aarch64-test/
graysky
Developer

Postby dobo » Mon May 24, 2021 8:20 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'I') noticed that these tools were up to version 11 on X86 but not on ARM so I thought I'd try building them myself. The first issue is that the compiler option -Werror=format-security from /etc/makepkg.conf causes an early faiilure where a format string is passed in to a function which in turn uses a printf-like function.

Removing that option allows gcc to build but there are significant failures in the test suite. The PKGBUILD does allow it to be packaged despite the failures but then there is another error in doing the packaging. This obviously needs some work before it will be ready to use.

@Amphitryon you've probably hit similar issue to mine on Arch Linux x86. Official Arch Linux packages are compiled with CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS from devtools package (/usr/share/devtools/makepkg-x86_64.conf) not with the ones from pacman (/etc/makepkg.conf). Source: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=266478

I presume that ALARM uses flags from pacman as devtools and devtools-alarm contain only flags for x86_64 architecture. So, it seems that ALARM build machines compile with flags that will be introduced in pacman 6.0. Source: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=266352. Probably those new flags complicate building of some packages (at least for glibc, that I'm sure).
dobo

Return to Packages