[chromium] Cannot build chromium on aarch64

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

[chromium] Cannot build chromium on aarch64

Postby ambyjkl » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:06 am

Hi, I'm trying to compile chromium 91.0.4472.114-1 on aarch64 using the PKGBUILD with arm modifications. I'm building inside an archlinux arm chroot of the latest generic aarch64 image on an Oracle Cloud A1 instance. I had to remove certain flags like "-fstack-clash-protection" from makepkg.conf since they were not supported by the clang compiler, as well as remove the "catastrophic damage" error from the makepkg script so I can build with the root user.

The build starts off well, but eventually fails with an error "flatc failed with exit code -11", and further investigation shows that chromium first compiles a "flatc" binary and subsequently uses it in the build process. However, the compiled flatc binary always segfaults, and the exit code -11 corresponds to a SIGSEGV, which is 11. Making modifications to make the build system use the system flatc binary from the flatbuffers package lets the build proceed further, but more broken binaries protoc and wayland-scanner are generated and subsequently executed, resulting in more segfaults. Running it with valgrind reveals that the segfault happens in the dynamic linking process. Running ldd on the built flatc binary says it is not a dynamic executable, although the system flatc binary definitely is according to ldd. I also built the flatbuffers package from its PKGBUILD, with both gcc and clang, and there were no issues with it.

Any help would be appreciated.
ambyjkl

Re: [chromium] Cannot build chromium on aarch64

Postby Sbyrr0 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:51 pm

Sorry if this is not related to your question, but were you able to intall and boot from Arch Linux ARM on an Ampere machine, or did you just stick to one of the default images to then create an Arch Linux ARM chroot for build only?
Sbyrr0

Postby ambyjkl » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:03 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Sbyrr0', 'S')orry if this is not related to your question, but were you able to intall and boot from Arch Linux ARM on an Ampere machine, or did you just stick to one of the default images to then create an Arch Linux ARM chroot for build only?

I've not yet tried to boot off of it, just using chroot for now. I'd suggest using kexec to boot into the kernel with a custom initramfs hook to mount the chroot subdirectory as the root filesystem. It sounds complicated if you haven't done either of those before, but having the default installed OS untouched comes in handy for debugging.
ambyjkl

Postby moonlinux » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:58 am

Are you trying to build arch packages Linux kernel for arm64 architecture using clang, can you share your modified makepkg.conf for this.
moonlinux

Return to Packages