[INVALID] [linux-aarch64] CONFIG_IP_PNP not set / no netboot

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

[INVALID] [linux-aarch64] CONFIG_IP_PNP not set / no netboot

Postby Malvineous » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:23 am

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 successfully booting over the network with the 32-bit version of Arch Linux ARM. I am now trying to move it to the 64-bit version, however it is currently not possible to boot the 64-bit kernel over the network due to a missing configuration option.

The IP autoconfiguration options (CONFIG_IP_PNP) are not set in the 64-bit kernel, but they are set in the 32-bit kernels.

Would it be possible to get these config options set in the linux-aarch64 package to make the 64-bit kernel network bootable just like the 32-bit kernel is?

• IP_PNP=y
  • IP_PNP_DHCP=y
  • ROOT_NFS=y

The options aren't activated unless you use the "ip=dhcp" and "rootfs" kernel command line parameters so enabling these options won't cause any compatibility issues with existing setups.

I'd be happy to submit a PR for it, but the package page doesn't have any links to a git repo that I could see.
Last edited by Malvineous on Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malvineous

Re: [linux-aarch64] CONFIG_IP_PNP not set, cannot network bo

Postby Malvineous » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:58 am

Hmm...so there was a mistake in my boot options and when I fixed it (so ip=dhcp was specified on the command line) then it worked.

So despite /proc/config.gz telling me CONFIG_IP_PNP was not set, the kernel still autoconfigured itself and the network boot succeeded.

Very strange. Well everything seems to be booting now up until userspace and I can log in, so it all looks good. Apologies for the noise.
Malvineous

Return to Packages