[qemu-system-x86] Missing qemu-base dependencies

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

[qemu-system-x86] Missing qemu-base dependencies

Postby argyrum » Sat May 14, 2022 12:19 pm

Hello,
I have tried to install qemu-base, but it fails at parsing dependencies for qemu-system-x86:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "edk2-ovmf", a dependency of "qemu-system-x86"
warning: cannot resolve "seabios", a dependency of "qemu-system-x86"
warning: cannot resolve "qemu-system-x86", a dependency of "qemu-base
')
I've looked it up on the packages page and both packages are not available in any architecture.
In the PKGBUILD seabios and edk2 are added explicitly as dependencies to qemu-system-x86, although neither of them are actually required in the makedepends and are not listed in the package page https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/aarch64/qemu-system-x86, however pacman does require them:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
Repository : extra
Name : qemu-system-x86
Version : 7.0.0-9
Description : QEMU system emulator for x86
Architecture : aarch64
URL : https://www.qemu.org/
Licenses : GPL2 LGPL2.1
Groups : None
Provides : None
Depends On : dtc fuse3 gcc-libs glib2 libgio-2.0.so=0-64 libglib-2.0.so=0-64 libgmodule-2.0.so=0-64
gnutls libaio libbpf libbpf.so=0-64 libjpeg-turbo libjpeg.so=8-64 libpng libsasl
libseccomp libseccomp.so=2-64 libslirp libslirp.so=0-64 liburing liburing.so=2-64 lzo
ndctl pam libpam.so=0-64 pixman libpixman-1.so=0-64 qemu-common snappy vde2 zlib zstd
libzstd.so=1-64 edk2-ovmf seabios systemd-libs libudev.so=1-64
Optional Deps : None
Conflicts With : None
Replaces : None
Download Size : 13.02 MiB
Installed Size : 62.25 MiB
Packager : Arch Linux ARM Build System <builder+n1@archlinuxarm.org>
Build Date : Mon 09 May 2022 16:02:13 CEST
Validated By : MD5 Sum SHA-256 Sum Signature
')

Is this just a dependency mismatch or is qemu not currently available for archlinux?

I am running the latest rpi-linux kernel on a headless Raspberrypi 3B+.
argyrum

Re: [qemu-system-x86] Missing qemu-base dependencies

Postby kasiuskaktus » Sun May 22, 2022 2:53 pm

Hi,
I also run into this issue during upgrade of qemu v6 to v7. As edk2-ovmf and seabios are of architecture any, you can download the packages from the Arch x86_64 repo and install them using pacman. This way, the dependencies are met and you can install qemu-base. This is at least what I did. Everything seems to work fine so far. Although, this is a workaround.
kasiuskaktus

Postby argyrum » Tue May 24, 2022 9:03 pm

That worked, thanks!
argyrum

Postby stafwag » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:32 pm

To get the virtual machines working I also needed to download/install

edk2-armvirt-202205-1-any.pkg.tar.zst seabios-1.16.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst
edk2-ovmf-202205-1-any.pkg.tar.zst

from the x86 Arch Distribution and qemu-system-x86, qemu-system-aarch64 from archlinux arm
and allow pacman to overwrite some files.

With that my virtual machines are working again.

Does somebody know if there is already a BUG report created for this issue?
stafwag

Postby argyrum » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:55 pm

Bug reports for packages go into the packages section of the forum so I think this thread should count as bug report.

On the topic of installing the missing packages from the archlinux_x86 extra repository, is there any way to add it to archlinux arm pacman? I tried, but since both repositories are called extra it just downloads one and keeps the other as backup. I tried to rename it (let's say extra86) but then when pacman tries to update the extra86 repository it looks for extra86.db, which doesn't exist since this is the extra repository.

Is there any way to rename an existing repository without breaking it? Even better if it can be filtered to just add the architecture:any packages.
argyrum

Postby umbrellarunaround » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:48 pm

I've had this problem with unresolvable dependencies. :?:
Thanks for the tip about downloading these packages.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'sudo pacman -U edk2-armvirt-202205-1-any.pkg.tar.zst edk2-ovmf-202205-1-any.pkg.tar.zst seabios-1.16.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
seabios: /usr/share/qemu/vgabios-bochs-display.bin exists in filesystem (owned by qemu)
seabios: /usr/share/qemu/vgabios-cirrus.bin exists in filesystem (owned by qemu)
seabios: /usr/share/qemu/vgabios-qxl.bin exists in filesystem (owned by qemu)
seabios: /usr/share/qemu/vgabios-ramfb.bin exists in filesystem (owned by qemu)
seabios: /usr/share/qemu/vgabios-stdvga.bin exists in filesystem (owned by qemu)
seabios: /usr/share/qemu/vgabios-virtio.bin exists in filesystem (owned by qemu)
seabios: /usr/share/qemu/vgabios-vmware.bin exists in filesystem (owned by qemu)')

I guess I should uninstall the existing qemu package? :!:

EDIT
Removing my existing qemu package, then installing the dependencies, then installing qemu-desktop worked.
umbrellarunaround

Postby argyrum » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:52 pm

I installed seabios and edk2 and afterwards installed qemu overwriting duplicate files and it worked flawlessly as far as I can tell.
argyrum

Postby swanny » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:04 am

Apologies for opening this up again.

I am very new to Archlinux and have run into this same problem.
Your previous answer was very informative, but I am still having trouble. I am unsure if I need to copy the downloaded packages into a particular folder?

I downloaded the three files:
edk2-armvirt-202205-1-any.pkg.tar.zst seabios-1.16.0-1-any.pkg.tar.zst edk2-ovmf-202205-1-any.pkg.tar.zst

and unpacked them with: tar -I zstd -xvf <package name> in my Downloads folder. Now there is a /user/share/qemu folder in my downloads directory ..... so I obviously put it in the wrong place. As pacman -S qemu still bombs out. I have a lovely list of packages in my Downloads/usr/share ...... but that is obviously not the right place for them. I am thinking it should be in /etc or /var/lib or somewhere. When I use variations on pacman -S it doesn't work.

I have done a number of searches (as I like to work things out for myself) but I am struggling to find where they should be and was wondering if you could advise, where I put the downloaded *.pkg.tar.zst files and the best way of unpacking them. I know this is easy for much more experienced folks.

I am in Manjaro ..... a list of packages shows everything else is there except these dependencies and QEMU goes into its pick 1,2 or 3 menu and bombs on the dependencies as you have described.

Thank you in advance.
swanny

Postby argyrum » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:34 am

You mention using Manjaro, take into account that this thread is for installing QEMU on Arch Linux ARM, Manjaro might have different dependencies or some other (hopefully easier) way of getting them.

I will explain anyway how I did it in case it can be of use to you:

First of all, I would not recommend manually placing files, as that way they are not part of any package and are left as orphans.
Instead, download the package from an official repository (I downloaded mine from the x86 Arch Linux servers on https://geo.mirror.pkgbuild.com/extra/os/x86_64/) and install them through pacman as offline package, using
pacman -U /path/to/package/package_name-version.pkg.tar.zst. Note that it may not let you install it if you don't have the necessary keys installed, in that case you can temporarily remove verification for local files by setting LocalFileSigLevel=Optional in \etc\pacman.conf.

Install the dependencies that way and afterwards install your preferred edition of QEMU with pacman -S <qemu-flavour>.

If in the future you want to uninstall QEMU you'll have to manually uninstall edk2 and seabios as installing as described does not mark them as dependencies.

Hoefully it works for you.
argyrum

Postby swanny » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:02 pm

Thanks argyrum, You're a legend.

It was getting late, and I was just lacking a little understanding in the how to.

The pacman -U /path/*.pkg.tar.zst worked a treat!

So nearly there ...... the qemu successfully downloaded the full list of dependencies.

It didn't commit the changes as seabios still exists in the usr/share in my Downloads.

So I tried pacman -S --overwrite "*" qemu and that went through the full install of qemu full.

DONE!
Thanks again.
Last edited by swanny on Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swanny

Next

Return to Packages