mkinitcpio-37-1 upgrade error

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

Re: mkinitcpio-37-1 upgrade error

Postby mcloaked » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:02 pm

Looking in my system in /boot there is:

# ls /boot/
boot.scr boot.txt.orig Image initramfs-linux-fallback.img mkscr u-boot.itb
boot.txt dtbs Image.gz initramfs-linux.img rksd_loader.img

and the u-boot seems to use boot.scr that is generated from the text file boot.txt - which has

# cat /boot/boot.txt
# After modifying, run ./mkscr

# MAC address (use spaces instead of colons)
setenv macaddr da 19 c8 7a 6d f4

part uuid ${devtype} ${devnum}:${bootpart} uuid
setenv bootargs console=ttyS2,1500000 root=PARTUUID=${uuid} rw rootwait earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000
setenv fdtfile rockchip/rk3328-rock64.dtb

if load ${devtype} ${devnum}:${bootpart} ${kernel_addr_r} /boot/Image; then
if load ${devtype} ${devnum}:${bootpart} ${fdt_addr_r} /boot/dtbs/${fdtfile}; then
fdt addr ${fdt_addr_r}
fdt resize
fdt set /ethernet@ff540000 local-mac-address "[${macaddr}]"
if load ${devtype} ${devnum}:${bootpart} ${ramdisk_addr_r} /boot/initramfs-linux.img; then
booti ${kernel_addr_r} ${ramdisk_addr_r}:${filesize} ${fdt_addr_r};
else
booti ${kernel_addr_r} - ${fdt_addr_r};
fi;
fi;
fi

which references the initramfs file - so simply removing the latter would likely lead to the system failing to boot - and given this is a pure headless system accessed by ssh only on a LAN, loss of boot means a complete re-install. So unless the boot process can be changed in a sure fire way that would not lose the ability to boot the kernel, then it wouldn't seem sensible to make critical changes without understanding the boot process in details.
mcloaked

Postby graysky » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:20 pm

Yes, again, I was referencing RPi hardware.
graysky
Developer

Postby phperrer » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:25 pm

[quote]
I wonder if kms is actually needed in the line in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf ?

So if kms was removed from:

HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf kms keyboard keymap consolefont block filesystems fsck)

is it possible that this is an alternate way to work around the problem?
[/quote]

Works for me. You don't really need that on a headless system (e.g. when interacting with the machine though SSH only).
phperrer

Postby solskogen » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:44 am

removing kms doesn't affect anything on the Pi it seems.
solskogen

Postby tazinblack » Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:50 pm

Hi together,

seems like new version 37.3-1 does not fix the problem.
So I downgraded again to 36.1
tazinblack

Postby TTsdzb » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:17 am

Commenting out that [code]add_checked_modules_from_symbol 'drm_privacy_screen_register' '=drivers/platform'[/code] works for my Rasp Pi4B and I can generate the image or reboot successfully.

Accroding to [url]https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Mkinitcpio#HOOKS[/url] section 3.3.3, the kms hook "Additionally adds modules that are required by privacy screens built into the LCD panel of some laptops." And I suppose this is completely useless for our hardwares, which, running an arm system. Therefor commenting out that [code]drm_privacy_screen_register[/code] should be fine.
TTsdzb

Postby Musikolo » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:54 pm

Hi guys,

I'm having issues with mkinitcpio on my RPi4B a few days ago. You can learn more about it atmake_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_LOCAL, ' ', 'https://archlinuxarm.org/forum', 'viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16753&p=72118', ' class="postlink-local"')

I wonder if there is an archive where I could get older versions of mkinitcpio package. Currently, I only have cached version 37.3-1 and I'd like to downgrade to 37.2, 37.1 or event 36 to see if that sorts my issue out. I tried using packages frommake_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, ' ', 'https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/m/mkinitcpio/', '', ' class="postlink"') but I believe they aren't fully compatible with RPi4, so I had to revert it.

Thanks.
Musikolo

Postby KwaXi » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:08 pm

Could be there are multiple problems mixed up in this thread. The recent problems with booting, could be cause by an issue with raspberrypi-bootloader package, as described here [url]https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16753[/url]

At least for me, the warnings and errors during the mkinitcpio run didn't affect the capability to boot my devices.
KwaXi

Postby Musikolo » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:09 pm

Hi KwaXi,

I can confirm what you just replied. More details about it at [url]https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16753[/url]

Thanks a lot!
Musikolo

Postby ffaille » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:47 am

Instead of modify /etc/mkinitcpio.conf to remove kms from this line :
HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf kms keyboard keymap consolefont block filesystems fsck)
You can disable kms hook by setting default_options="--skiphooks kms" in preset file inside /etc/mkinitcpio.d folder.
ffaille

PreviousNext

Return to Packages