[linux-rpi] 6.6.13: NFS bug on rpi4

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

[linux-rpi] 6.6.13: NFS bug on rpi4

Postby ntova » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:08 pm

Hi,

I seem to have hit a bug in linux-rpi-6.6.13: Reading any big files from an NFS share stops at exactly the 4GB mark every time with an input/output error (according to `dd`). This can be worked around by downgrading to linux-rpi-6.1.68.
My desktop (currently running linux-6.6.8 (x86_64)) reads those files just fine over NFS.

This problem is probably further upstream, but I quickly wanted to document my findings, as I haven't found anything on the internet about this. If you can reproduce this, give me a heads up.
For tomorrow, I'll further investigate and maybe raise an issue upstream.
ntova

Re: [linux-rpi] 6.6.13: NFS bug on rpi4

Postby graysky » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:28 pm

I haven't seen this myself on nfs4 shares/linux-rpi. Anything diagnostic in journalctl output? Is the bug triggered just with dd? How are you invoking it and why? What about a real-world file copy of something over 4 GB with rsync? An upstream issue might yield some helpful advice. You can also post to the official rpi forum, but will need more info to help narrow it down.
graysky
Developer

Postby ntova » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:09 am

I'm sorry for the lack of detail in my previous post. My findings in more detail:

Reading files larger than 4GB on a NFS share seems is broken for me when reading beyond the first 4GB of the file. I first noticed this in Kodi, where movies would just stop somewhere in the middle. Reading with ffmpeg, cp, dd or just a plain open() and read() always returns an I/O error beyond 4GB.

There are no errors either in journalctl or dmesg on NFS server and client.

My NFS server is a fully updated ArchLinux. I could reproduce this with both ext4 and btrfs as underlying filesystem.

Later today I will take some time to test it with Raspberry Pi OS to see if I can reproduce this there, too.
ntova

Postby graysky » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:16 pm

Interesting... anything in the kodi.log (set it to debug mode).
graysky
Developer

Return to Packages