[solved] raspberrypi-bootloader-20240122 breaks boot on rpi4

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

Fail to boot after upgrade

Postby tramtam2024 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:27 pm

Hallo,

i have follow the intstraction on [url]https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8/broadcom/raspberry-pi-4[/url] and prepeard a new SD Card with AArch64, everything went well and worked.

yesterday i have make an upgrade pacman -Syu and now the Pi dont boot anymore just the rainbow screen is to see.

today i have prepared the SD Card again and the same problem, i noticed on the upgrade mkinitcpio have some errors.

==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux-aarch64.preset: 'default'
==> Using configuration file: '/etc/mkinitcpio.conf'
-> -k 6.2.10-1-aarch64-ARCH -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Starting build: '6.2.10-1-aarch64-ARCH'
-> Running build hook: [base]
-> Running build hook: [udev]
-> Running build hook: [autodetect]
-> Running build hook: [modconf]
-> Running build hook: [kms]
-> Running build hook: [keyboard]
-> Running build hook: [keymap]
-> Running build hook: [consolefont]
==> WARNING: consolefont: no font found in configuration
-> Running build hook: [block]
-> Running build hook: [filesystems]
-> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: '/boot/initramfs-linux.img'
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux-aarch64.preset: 'fallback'
==> Using configuration file: '/etc/mkinitcpio.conf'
-> -k 6.2.10-1-aarch64-ARCH -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: '6.2.10-1-aarch64-ARCH'
-> Running build hook: [base]
-> Running build hook: [udev]
-> Running build hook: [modconf]
-> Running build hook: [kms]
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'msm'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'ast'
-> Running build hook: [keyboard]
-> Running build hook: [keymap]
-> Running build hook: [consolefont]
==> WARNING: consolefont: no font found in configuration
-> Running build hook: [block]
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qla2xxx'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'wd719x'
==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: 'qla1280'
-> Running build hook: [filesystems]
-> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: '/boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img'
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.

i use a raspi 4 with a orginal Powersupplie 5.1 V 3 A

maybe someone has a solution that I didn't find, i would be very grateful if there was a solution to fix it.

Thank you
tramtam2024

Re: raspberrypi-bootloader-20240122-1 breaks boot on rpi4

Postby Musikolo » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:27 am

I'm using the linux-aarch64-6.2.10 package while I found linux-rpi package uses version 6.6.16 of the kernel. I'm unsure whether there is an advantage in using one another. Is there any chance the linux-aarch64 packages gets upgraded?

In addition, I have an attached USB drive to boot my rpi and I'm concerned switching to linux-rpi causes a major issue and it breaks booting. However, after reading the thread [url]https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16366&p=70690&hilit=linux+rpi[/url] it looks like the recommended kernel for RPI4B is linux-rpi. This confuses me a bit because the installation guide recommends using the linux-aarch64 package and that thread contradicts it. Is there anyone using the latter on RPi4B with an external USB drive for booting?

Thanks.
Musikolo

Postby graysky » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:26 pm

If you're on RPi hardware use linux-rpi which tracks upstream's (RPi Foundation) fork of the kernel and adds things like hw decoding and other hardware-specific stuff.
graysky
Developer

Postby lei » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:17 pm

I switched to linux-rpi from linux-aarch64 for my RPi4B few days ago and everything seems to run normally so far with the latest bootloader-20240208-1 package.

Essentially I just followed [url]https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16360[/url] to replace linux-aarch64 with linux-rpi. I also replaced [code]root=mmcblk [/code] with [code]root=/dev/sdX[/code] in [code]/boot/cmdline.txt[/code] so that it can locate the root partition.

Hope this helps.
lei

Postby graysky » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:00 pm

Modnote - merging multiple threads.

I believe a work around is use raspberrypi-bootloader-20240122-1 and make sure uboot-raspberrypi updates to 2024.01-1 (should hit mirrors shortly).

Note there is an open bug report now:make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, ' ', 'https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1868', '', ' class="postlink"')

Alternatively, if you are on RPi hardware, and unless you have a specific reason to run linux-aarch64, I recommend that you switch to linux-rpi which is based off the RPI Foundation fork of the kernel. No such boot bug currently affects it and you get video hardware decoding.

[code]
pacman -S --needed raspberrypi-bootloader linux-rpi
[/code]
graysky
Developer

Postby graysky » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:35 pm

If anyone affected by this bug would like to help upstream troubleshoot, please follow the open issue here:
make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, '
', 'https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1868', '', ' class="postlink"')

I do not have much time this week or else I would.
graysky
Developer

Postby pelwell » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:35 pm

Hi, I'm pelwell a.k.a PhilE a.k.a.make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_EMAIL, ' ', 'phil@raspberrypi.com', '', ''), here to save graysky some time and shorten the debug loop.

Looking through the list of firmware changes between the last known good release and the bad one, one stood out as being kernel related, seemingly harmless, and written by me.

In this download make_clickable_callback(MAGIC_URL_FULL, '(', 'https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iwBPjviagitJEEE2feV1eAsCIYJIsN2j/view?usp=drive_link', '', ' class="postlink"')) you'll find a replacement start4.elf and fixup4.dat with that patch reverted - if anyone has time to give it a quick check I'd be grateful.
pelwell

Postby graysky » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:11 pm

Thanks Phil - I commented in the github issue: it seems that your googledrive zip file contains only one of the two you mentioned and replacing the version raspberrypi-bootloader-20240208-1 supplies does not fix the issue.
graysky
Developer

Postby pelwell » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:19 pm

It should be OK if you try again.
pelwell

Postby graysky » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:07 pm

Those files fixed the issue. raspberrypi-bootloader-20240213-1 has been released. Can another affected user please comment. Did the update fix your boot process as well (tested as working for me on RPi4B) + linux-aarch64.
graysky
Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Packages