[RESOLVED] perl-package-stash

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

[RESOLVED] perl-package-stash

Postby jca001 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:10 pm

I have a perl program running on SL 6.1 that I am trying to get to run on ARCLinux on a PogoPlug V2. I have had to installer several perl packages as different errors showed loading.

perl-libwww
perl-xml-simple
perl-datetime
perl-data-optlist

The last error I am getting is tryig to load Package/Stash. Doing lots of Googling indicates I should install perl-package-stash located in Community. But if I try to install it, it indicates it does not exist. Going to archlinuxarm.org/packages/...... it show it should be located in Community.

Is that different than community that is default set in /etc/pacman.conf and /etc/macman.d/mirrorlist?

I am new to ARCLinux. I deal with RedHat at work and SL at home.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Jack Allen
Last edited by jca001 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----
jca001

Re: perl-package-stash

Postby pepedog » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:23 pm

If its not built, there might be a problem?
You didn't say what system, arm 5 or 7
try this, update, install abs, run abs, cd /var/abs/community/<package name>
Now try
makepkg -Acs --asroot
pacman -U <package>
pepedog
Developer

Postby jca001 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:11 pm

I specified it was the PogoPlug V2, which is listed in ARMv5.

What is abs?

I don't understand what you are talking about doing makepkg.

At the following link http://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sort ... =&limit=50 it shows for Any. I have to assume that is because it is just Perl Code and nothing is compiled for a specific hardware.
-----
jca001

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:38 am

Consider just using CPAN to install the needed module: Package::Stash
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby jca001 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:15 am

I had tried using CPAN on another perl module LWP and had problems. The tar command would fail. I updated tar and still had the problem. I did some Googling and someone pointed out on these small systems it will fail because of the small memory. Then if found I could install per-libwww via pacman with no problems which contained the LWP module that I needed plus some other things.

Then I had to install some more packages via pacman. I still only had one module that needed to be install, which is per-package-stash, but pacman can not find it.

After doing some more testing, I tracked down the module (DateTime) that was requiring perl-package-stash and DatTime is not used in the program. So I removed it and my program is now running just fine.

I still hope someone replies as to why the package does not show up in pacman, but is listed on archlinuxarm.org as if it should. I have not changed anything in pacman.conf, but maybe I need to so I will not have other problems.
-----
jca001

Postby kmihelich » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:15 am

We are not connected to the upstream Arch Linux distribution. While we build from their sources, sometimes packages don't get built for whatever reason (this is a fact of life on ARM, failures happen). Just because it shows up on their site's package search does not mean that it's in our repositories. There is a search command for pacman to verify if we do have the package.

Please be sure to make this separation in the future.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby jca001 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:28 am

Thanks for the information.

Could I create another repository in the pacman.conf that would point to the upstream repository and be able to use things that are not CPU type specific?

In other words if it is just a perl module or shell script that does not contain compiled programs it would seem they would work. I know there could be some dependency problems at times.
-----
jca001

Postby kmihelich » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:32 am

Just know that as soon as you bring in packages from elsewhere, it's no longer our problem to solve here and upstream isn't going to touch it with a 20 foot pole.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:19 pm

If it is a memory problem, then you need to look into a swap partition on a spinning disk. It's not that intensive.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby jca001 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:08 pm

I resolved the problem a few days after the last post.

I winds up that I really did not need the perl-datetime in my program and that was the one that was trying to load files included in the perl-package-stash package. So all is well now and my program is running fine.
-----
jca001

Return to Packages