[Samba] no write access to NTFS partition?

Problems with packages? Post here, using [tags] of the package name.

[Samba] no write access to NTFS partition?

Postby Girlie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:43 am

Hello,

I'm using the latest Arch Linux ARM install with the new mtd0 uBoot and the dockstar kernel enabled. I installed the Arch Linux ARM samba package following the wiki instructions. I created a smb.conf file, set up a guest account with no password set, defined a media share on my external harddisk (plugged into dockstar) and finally started the samba daemon. Webmin shows that everything is fine and the share folder is set up with read/write permissions for everyone. From my Windows PC I can also see and access the files on the share through the network without typing in any password. There's just one problem: I don't have any write access to the contained files.

Network streaming directly from the dockstar drive works like a charm, but I can't rename, modify or delete any content on the share. Windows complains that I've got no rights to do so. Since I'm using an HDD with an NTFS partition (I need this to ensure compatibility with my freeagent theater+) I'm not sure if there's something to add to the Linux installation in order to make everything work as it should. The point is that the drive seems to get correctly mounted by Arch Linux ARM install under /media/labelname/sharefolder. Also the samba permission setup indicates that full read/write access is granted to everyone, but I just can't find out why that's not really the case. Am I missing something important?

Thanx for your help.

- Girlie
Girlie

Re: [Samba] no write access to NTFS partition?

Postby smichaelson » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:14 am

I know that this is a late response to the post, but I just got into running arch on my plug. Problem seems to be the default rules used when udevd auto-mounts a partition. Just go in, unmount it (its probably /dev/sdb1) and remount it as root or a different user with appropriate permissions:

mount /dev/sdb1 /media/labelname/sharefolder

and if your udevd ever breaks, just tell it the type:

mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /media/labelname/sharefolder

That should take care of it. Ran into the problem myself :)
smichaelson

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:31 pm

The easier method might be to have the smb.conf configured to use the root user as the file system authentication, I don't remember the setting off hand, but it's not hard.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Telemachus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:26 pm

I know this is an old post, but I am curious how the NTFS partition has been working for you. I would like to keep my drive NTFS if possible, for ease of accessing it on Windoze Laptop, but would like to serve from archlinux and keep write access.

I am sure a Linux native file system would be more ideal, but moving 3 terabytes of data from NTFS to Ext3 is a daunting task that I'd rather skip if possible...
Last edited by Telemachus on Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Telemachus

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:45 pm

3GB? Or 3TB ?

There is a huge difference.. And, it's not that hard.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby Telemachus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:50 pm

3TB. Edited.

:cry:
Telemachus

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:52 pm

Yeah.. that will take a lot more time/capacity, but still not that hard, just time consuming.

Your read speeds will be fine, your write speeds will be severely hampered.

You need to pay attention to permissions on the mount, as well as those configured in smb.conf, and all will be well.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to Packages