[Resolved] Enable spi-gpio kernel module for RPI 3

Discussion about U-Boot and the kernel.

[Resolved] Enable spi-gpio kernel module for RPI 3

Postby shenghaoyang » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:23 am

Hi,

The 32-bit ALARM build for Raspberry PI 3 & 2 has been working quite wonderfully now, but I'd like to take advantage of the 64-bit mainline kernel on the build solely for the Raspberry Pi 3.

I'm running a few external peripherals, and have built up a dependency on the spi-gpio module that allows bit-banged SPI to be provided by the kernel. Bit-banging at any reasonable rate in userspace requires tons of system calls, and you can guess at the CPU usage. Even with the new character device API, it's still quite a bit.

After some digging through the installation archive (checking through /usr/lib/modules/4.16.6-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/spi/) for the 64-bit distribution, it seems that the module is not built for the 64-bit platform.

In the case that it is not built (maybe it's compiled into the kernel, but I don't have an additional microSD to boot it up and test), could I put in a request for the maintainer of the build to enable it?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by shenghaoyang on Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shenghaoyang

Re: [arm64] [Request] Enable spi-gpio kernel module for RPI

Postby shenghaoyang » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:37 am

Scratch last, it seems that the functionality is enabled:
https://archlinuxarm.org/packages/aarch64/linux-aarch64/files/config, and compiled into the kernel.

TIL you can see the configuration for the kernel on the packages section of the website.

Apologies for the unnecessary request.
shenghaoyang

Return to U-Boot/Kernel