graysky
Developer

Re: No kernel update from Sep. 9th

Postby lynix » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:57 am

Dang I got confused between linux-aarch64 and linux-rpi :D
lynix

Postby murple » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:44 pm

I too am just trying to understand what roadblocks there may be, I certainly don't want to come across as if I am complaining.

There was a change introduced around 5.18 that breaks sata on the espressobin which has now been fixed. Funnily enough it was fixed in 6.0 rc6, which is just one rc shy of what is in the repos!

5.17 is fine and I don't really have a legitimate need to upgrade, it's more of a compulsion :)
murple

Postby lynix » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:15 am

Well, 5.17 is no LTS either, so you're running an EOL branch kernel that is very likely to suffer from some amount of vulnerabilities as well: Linux 5.17 CVEs.

If your device is properly firewalled and doesn't do anything fancy then you might be fine with that. Me personally I really don't like running unmaintained kernels on any device.

I have submitted a pull request updating linux-aarch64 to the latest stable kernel (6.1.8) but, unsurprisingly, it has been ignored so far.

Edit: I've learned that the Espressobin is ARMv8 as well. So if you're running linux-aarch64 and would like to give 6.1.8 a try I'm happy to share the binary package(s). Took me 5+ hours to build natively on an Odroid C4.
lynix

Postby murple » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:06 pm

I used to use it as a router so mainline or LTS was a must then, but now I just use it for unimportant stuff so I am less worried

But yes i'd love to give your binary a try, thanks!
murple

Postby murple » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:29 pm

Just in case anyone stumbles across this, 6.1 aarch64 is running fine on espressobin. Thanks to lynix for the package.
murple

Postby windozupdat3 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:31 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('lynix', '
')Edit: I've learned that the Espressobin is ARMv8 as well. So if you're running linux-aarch64 and would like to give 6.1.8 a try I'm happy to share the binary package(s). Took me 5+ hours to build natively on an Odroid C4.

Hi lynix, do you mind to share? :D

It is quite surprising that good PR are not accepted and the silence on this topic is astounding.
windozupdat3

Postby lynix » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:05 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'H')i lynix, do you mind to share?

Sure, I guess I shall make the link public now as multiple users have asked for it:

https://nc.tuxed.org/s/pQ7gwBffQtfjmBg

Please note that the only device I can test this on is an Odroid C4, so no guarantees for other platforms.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'I')t is quite surprising that good PR are not accepted and the silence on this topic is astounding

Totally agree, this is getting ridiculous. Maintainer keeps on pumping dozens of PKGBUILD updates a day for almost any package except for the (arguably) most important one.

I really get the impression that 'linux-aarch64' is not regarded an official package. And that this maintainer doesn't like pull requests at all. I'd be fine with that if it was communicated somehow.
lynix

Postby sehraf » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:12 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('lynix', 'P')lease note that the only device I can test this on is an Odroid C4, so no guarantees for other platforms.

Your PR runs fine on my RockPi4
sehraf

Postby sehraf » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:14 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('murple', 'I') too am just trying to understand what roadblocks there may be, I certainly don't want to come across as if I am complaining.

What bugs me most is the lack of communication. There can always be problem (be it software or real life issues) but keeping us in the dark is annoying.
sehraf

PreviousNext

Return to U-Boot/Kernel