U-boot on C2

Discussion about U-Boot and the kernel.

U-boot on C2

Postby rpcameron » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:10 am

I remember from some time ago that the way U-boot worked in general was that it first looked in the root of first vfat/ext2 partition for boot.ini (or whichever settings file was required by the platform), and if it did not find it there, it would look in the /boot directory of the first partition for those files, in that order.

However, it seems that the u-boot that is build for alarm for C2 has hardcoded the path for boot.ini to be within the /boot directory of the first partition.

I prefer to have my alarm system use F2FS for its rootfs, and therefore use a separate boot partition that I mount under /boot. But with alarm's u-boot, this means that my boot.ini must reside under /boot/boot; I work around this presently by using an ext2 boot partition with boot symlinked to '.'. For ease of maintenance, especially when mounting my media on other systems, I'd prefer to have my boot partition as vfat, but this would require bind mounts to have a sensible rootfs on the arm device.

The question boils down to this: Is there a reason U-boot was modified for the C2 to only look for /boot/boot.ini? I thought mainline's search pattern was to look for /boot.ini, and if not found, then look for /boot/boot.ini.
rpcameron

Return to U-Boot/Kernel