RPi2 kernel crash on 4.19.23

Discussion about U-Boot and the kernel.

RPi2 kernel crash on 4.19.23

Postby sovanyio » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:14 pm

Seeing a large jump from linux-raspberrypi-4.14.98-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz to linux-raspberrypi-4.19.23-1-armv7h.pkg.tar.xz and after applying this, my pi failed to boot, had to chroot via my desktop and restore the 4.14 kernel to boot up again.

Not sure how to get "pretty" boot failure output, but I took a video and it starts right after $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'Starting Rebuild Journal Catalog'), which I'm assuming is due to all of the unplugging/re-plugging that I had done while trying to figure this out.

The only clear line that I get is
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'kernel BUG at mm/slub.c:3901!
Internal error: Oops - BUG: 0 [#1] PREEMPT SMP ARM')

Once the output stops scrolling I see:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt
CPU1: stopping
CPU: 1 PID: 0 Comm: swapper/1 Tainted: G D C 4.19.23-1-ARCH #1
Hardware name: BCM2835
... stack
SMP: failed to stop secondary CPUs
')
with some address and stack information after that (unwind_backtrace -> show_stack -> dump_stack -> handle_IPI -> __irq_svc -> arch_cpu_idle -> do_idle -> cpu_starup_entry)

Anyone have any advice? Could be an issue on my side, I assume that there are other RPi2 users here running the latest kernel with no problem.
sovanyio

Re: RPi2 kernel crash on 4.19.23

Postby bulletmark » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:08 am

It is not an issue on your side. I have 2 RPi2 and both have been exhibiting this bug since I updated them on 19-Feb (with that new kernel). They each fail to boot about 50% of the time. They run headless and with the journal in RAM so I had not yet determined the problem.
bulletmark

Re: RPi2 kernel crash on 4.19.23

Postby bulletmark » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:12 am

Same kernel crash at boot occurs, at about the same 50% frequency, on my RPi3 as well. Does not occur on my RPi1.

Seems a significant issue, but once again no response on this forum :(
bulletmark

Return to U-Boot/Kernel