[SOLVED] linux-aarch64-5.8.0-1 breaks Rock64

Discussion about U-Boot and the kernel.

Re: linux-aarch64-5.8.0-1 breaks Rock64

Postby Kabbone » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:32 pm

mbakhterev wrote:
I've run it. But with mkimage from preinstalled uboot-tools 2020.04. May this be a problem?


no, I used the same.
Did you use your old boot.txt? Because I mean will be probably wrong for you, because it assumes a boot partition and a BTRFS root with the label "ROOTFS"

My frequency shouldn't be the problem if it ran before. Perhaps your board could also handle the default 800 one, but mine wasn't able to right from the begining.

Your boot.txt should look like that if it's default.
Kabbone
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:20 am

Re: linux-aarch64-5.8.0-1 breaks Rock64

Postby mbakhterev » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:56 pm

Kabbone wrote:no, I used the same.
Did you use your old boot.txt? Because I mean will be probably wrong for you, because it assumes a boot partition and a BTRFS root with the label "ROOTFS"

My frequency shouldn't be the problem if it ran before. Perhaps your board could also handle the default 800 one, but mine wasn't able to right from the begining.

Your boot.txt should look like that if it's default.


Here is mine

Code: Select all
# cat boot.txt
# After modifying, run ./mkscr

# MAC address (use spaces instead of colons)
setenv macaddr da 19 c8 7a 6d f4

# part uuid ${devtype} ${devnum}:${bootpart} uuid
part uuid ${devtype} ${devnum}:3 uuid

setenv bootargs audit=0 console=ttyS2,1500000 root=PARTUUID=${uuid} rw rootwait earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000 init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd

setenv fdtfile rockchip/rk3328-rock64.dtb

if load ${devtype} ${devnum}:${bootpart} ${kernel_addr_r} /Image; then
  if load ${devtype} ${devnum}:${bootpart} ${fdt_addr_r} /dtbs/${fdtfile}; then
    fdt addr ${fdt_addr_r}
    fdt resize
    fdt set /ethernet@ff540000 local-mac-address "[${macaddr}]"
    if load ${devtype} ${devnum}:${bootpart} ${ramdisk_addr_r} /initramfs-linux-fallback.img; then
      booti ${kernel_addr_r} ${ramdisk_addr_r}:${filesize} ${fdt_addr_r};
    else
      booti ${kernel_addr_r} - ${fdt_addr_r};
    fi;
  fi;
fi


The @ramsey's recipe viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14576 works for me. May be because of newer versions. Anyway system is up and running. Thanks a lot for the help!

P.S. Where i can find u-boot description to understand the u-boot architecture?
mbakhterev
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:45 pm

Re: linux-aarch64-5.8.0-1 breaks Rock64

Postby as365n4 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:34 pm

P.S. Where i can find u-boot description to understand the u-boot architecture?


The home of U-Boot is here http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/WebHome Documentation, Source Code, everything in German and English.
as365n4
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:04 pm

Re: linux-aarch64-5.8.0-1 breaks Rock64

Postby rdbisme » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:57 pm

I can also confirm that recompiling u-boot fixed the problem.

Shouldn't we update the PKGBUILD of uboot-rock64? It's quite outdated and it uses: https://github.com/rockchip-linux/rkbin. Is rkbin still needed with recent versions of u-boot?
rdbisme
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:55 pm

Re: linux-aarch64-5.8.0-1 breaks Rock64

Postby mbakhterev » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:18 pm

Can anyone confirm, that new uboot-rock64-2020.07 works? I have no physical access to my rock64 for now, and would like not to brick it again.
mbakhterev
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:45 pm

Re: linux-aarch64-5.8.0-1 breaks Rock64

Postby twarm » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:29 pm

I did this to fix the boot issue on my rock64 v2.

Code: Select all
   part uuid ${devtype} ${devnum}:${bootpart} uuid
setenv bootargs console=ttyS2,1500000 root=PARTUUID=${uuid} rw rootwait earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000
setenv fdtfile rockchip/rk3328-rock64.dtb
setenv ramdisk_addr_r 0x06000000            <= Append   

Got it from thread at Pine64/Rock64. Came here saw a simple recomile works too....hmm.
twarm
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:38 pm

Re: linux-aarch64-5.8.0-1 breaks Rock64

Postby Kabbone » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:49 pm

a simple recompile wouldn't have worked. I just assume that there were changes in the device tree with 5.8, so it didn't work like before with the rockchip idbloader which was used in the repos

mbakhterev wrote:Can anyone confirm, that new uboot-rock64-2020.07 works? I have no physical access to my rock64 for now, and would like not to brick it again.


If you use DHCP better wait until you have access, the MAC changed for me with the update.
Kabbone
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:20 am

Re: linux-aarch64-5.8.0-1 breaks Rock64

Postby mbakhterev » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:45 pm

twarm wrote:I did this to fix the boot issue on my rock64 v2.

Code: Select all
   part uuid ${devtype} ${devnum}:${bootpart} uuid
setenv bootargs console=ttyS2,1500000 root=PARTUUID=${uuid} rw rootwait earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000
setenv fdtfile rockchip/rk3328-rock64.dtb
setenv ramdisk_addr_r 0x06000000            <= Append   

Got it from thread at Pine64/Rock64. Came here saw a simple recomile works too....hmm.


Oh! Thanks for the tip. It seems the size of new kernel causes the problem. It is huge! And the new u-boot considers that.

Kabbone wrote:If you use DHCP better wait until you have access, the MAC changed for me with the update.


Thank you for this important warning! Fortunately, the ip is static on internal network. So... Is it safe to upgrade?
mbakhterev
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:45 pm

Postby as365n4 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:22 am

Thank you all for fault finding and giving guidance on how to fix the outdated bootloader, it is much appreciated.

And to the Wiki maintainer, thank you for updating the Rock64 page.
as365n4
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:04 pm

Re: [SOLVED] linux-aarch64-5.8.0-1 breaks Rock64

Postby mbakhterev » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:30 pm

ANOTHER WARNING: The installer of the uboot-rock64-2020.07 package unconditionally flashes images to the /dev/mmcblk0, which was in my case my encrypted SD with home directory. I just did not pay enough attention to the message (previous version of uboot-rock64 was detecting name of boot EMMC correctly) and i've irrecoverably f*cked up some of my data. BE CAREFUL!
mbakhterev
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:45 pm

PreviousNext

Return to U-Boot/Kernel

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests