U-Boot gets stuck at boot from MMC

Discussion about U-Boot and the kernel.

Re: U-Boot gets stuck at boot from MMC

Postby Rethfor » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:32 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('summers', 'O')dd. Did it count down before trying to boot? If not guess you either changed the wrong defconfig, or you defconfig is including another file that overwrites the change. So worth digging a bit. Part of the problem is your uboot isn't mainlined, so who can say what they have done. Maybe best going back to varicite, as it looks like their version of uboot ...

It doesn't count down or anything and I noticed that it says "dirty" where the U-Boot SPL version is displayed when I make that change.
Rethfor

Postby summers » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:57 am

So I guess the "Dirty" means you have changed the right defconfig. But that it didn't count down, says something must be overwriting it. That to me says varcite have set their uboot up in a somewhat unusual way. To my mind though, the problem is if we can't interubut uboot, and type commands - we can't dig into what is going wrong.

Oh yes minor thought, look at using "screen" for connecting to the uart rather than minicom - that avoids minicom sending its first few characters, expecting the uart to be a modem ...
summers

Postby bodhi » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:42 pm

Hey summers,

Happen to drop by today to look for some really old info I can't no longer remember :)

The SPL part of u-boot does not have a countdown. Only u-boot proper has a countdown. So when you encounter some issue during SPL, it's harder to troubleshoot.

According to the instruction, this card has 2 MMC devices, SD and eMMC.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'SW1-SW2
0 - 0 : Boot from SD card
1 - 0 : Boot from eMMC
0 - 1 : Boot from NAND flash
1 - 1 : Illegal
')

So that DIP switch needs to be set to 0. I noticed Rethfor's screenshot said "booting MMC1", but the boot device is MMC0. Perhaps that is the problem.

HTH,
-bodhi
bodhi

Postby summers » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:43 am

Good spot bohdi! I should have noticed the SPL bit myself - think its only my beagle farm that uses SPL, and there its called MLO!

So this makes the question, as to why the main book isn't loaded. Suggests need to look at the boot process on these machines in more detail - and why SPL is found, but not the main uboot. Suggests yes either a dip switch problem (that presumably says where to find SPL), or the main uboot isn't as expected (so check how that is written to flash/mmc).
summers

Postby Rethfor » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:15 pm

So apparently, my problem was about using a wrong variation of Variscite (DIP swithces were right)... Sorry for taking so much of your time, I really appreciate your efforts to help me thank you for all.
Rethfor

Previous

Return to U-Boot/Kernel