Should ALARM wrap the initramfs automatically?

Discussion about U-Boot and the kernel.

Should ALARM wrap the initramfs automatically?

Postby Lefevre » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:59 pm

Hi,

Since Uboot won't load regular initramfs (compressed cpio) or legacy initrd, but only accept image wrapped by mkimage, should we wrap the initramfs by default?

Although it's not a big problem as we can boo using kernel and root= option without problem, as EXT4 is compiled into kernel, but I guess if some creative user want to use LVM as root partition, it would take she or he a long time to find the Uboot trick.

Thanks.
Lefevre

Re: Should ALARM wrap the initramfs automatically?

Postby TaveiraI » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:54 pm

You probably need to read:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio

Which is how arch creates the initramfs, you can set which modules are loaded my initramfs, before it tries to mount root. So if root needs a module, you set it to load by intramfs.
TaveiraI

Re: Should ALARM wrap the initramfs automatically?

Postby moonman » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:16 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('Lefevre', 'H')i,

Since Uboot won't load regular initramfs (compressed cpio) or legacy initrd, but only accept image wrapped by mkimage, should we wrap the initramfs by default?

Although it's not a big problem as we can boo using kernel and root= option without problem, as EXT4 is compiled into kernel, but I guess if some creative user want to use LVM as root partition, it would take she or he a long time to find the Uboot trick.

Thanks.

Most devices have uboot built with CONFIG_SUPPORT_RAW_INITRD so no need to wrap it.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Return to U-Boot/Kernel