having trouble building kernel 3.2

Discussion about U-Boot and the kernel.

having trouble building kernel 3.2

Postby billyburly » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:42 am

I've been having some issues building kernel 3.2. The build keeps failing, this is the error I receive:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'include/linux/mtd/map.h:408:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘BUILD_BUG_ON’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors')

Saw it referenced here: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1234657

Anyone have any ideas? Run into it while building any of the other kernel packages?
billyburly

Re: having trouble building kernel 3.2

Postby kmihelich » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:39 pm

Yeah, that's been part of the problem with getting 3.2 finalized and booting everywhere on Kirkwood, you're probably seeing the same on Orion. Open up arch/arm/include/asm/bug.h, you'll see the BUILD_BUG_ON line about half-way down, just delete the entire line.

Also, gzip'd kernels seem to have a problem decompressing for Kirkwood. I've switched to LZMA and it seems to have stopped the issue (change in General setup -> Kernel compression mode). Lots of great gems to work around in 3.2.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Re: having trouble building kernel 3.2

Postby billyburly » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:28 am

Just wanted to check before I applied a random patch from the internet, even though it was a one liner.

Didn't have to change the compression type (forgot to, but it booted anyway).
billyburly

Return to U-Boot/Kernel