Freescale i.MX53-QSB (loco,START) board and fw_env.config

Discussion about U-Boot and the kernel.

Freescale i.MX53-QSB (loco,START) board and fw_env.config

Postby Ludigel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:47 am

I am using the iMX53-QSB board from Freescale, which is similar to the LOCO or START board, but does not have NAND flash memory.

I have successfully built the u-boot/tools/env tools, but do not know what to fill into the fw_env.config file.

I do not have the /dev/mtd0 or /dev/mtd1 or /dev/mtd2 devices on my filesystem (which is based on the standard filesystem which came with the package) and am assuming that is because there is no NAND memory.

However my u-boot is working, booting from SD-card and saving its environment, I am assuming on the SD-card itself.

Anybody knowing the settings or how to get them?

Thank you in advance.
Ludigel

Re: Freescale i.MX53-QSB (loco,START) board and fw_env.confi

Postby Ludigel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:32 am

Seems the env tool cannot support SD-card. As the board does not have NAND, U-boot has to write its config onto the SD-card. Anybody can think of a way how U-boot can access the rootfs easily? I need it to write one of its environment values into the Linux rootfs.
Ludigel

Postby xenoxaos » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:08 am

I'm not sure if fw_setenv/readenv will work with u-boot environments on an SD card. I would probably start out by dumping the first meg or so of the SD card and opening that up in a hex editor and poke around for the u-boot environment area. Then try feeding that location to fw_env.config, making sure to alter the device as well, /dev/mmcblk0 or whatever the base device for the SD is. Also, make sure to do a environment READ to test the location....don't try a write until you know it works.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
xenoxaos
Developer

Postby Ludigel » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:15 am

Thank you, that is a good hint. I probably try that or I just wait until we get the final reference board which will be used for our production, as that has NAND flash which would be supported by fw_readenv. Still having a nice demo in advance would be nice.

BTW the whole thing is for a security feature called "boot counting", so U-boot and Linux should both count their boot number and an alarm should be raised if not the same...
Ludigel

Postby WarheadsSE » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:29 pm

I'm afraid with some modification, this would be pointless. In either direction, the numbers are arbitrary to either fake, or simply alter.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to U-Boot/Kernel