tonidoplug uboot similarities?

Discussion about U-Boot and the kernel.

tonidoplug uboot similarities?

Postby netter » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:43 pm

I know this seems to be pogoplug heavy forum, but what are the options for updating the uboot for a tonidoplug?
netter

Re: tonidoplug uboot similarities?

Postby netter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:27 pm

i did not know that, that's pretty cool, makes you wonder why other's haven't followed this method.

yeah I wish it worked that way. Let me describe it better. I have a 10-port powered usb hub, but that's besides the point(the 4 port powere hub had the same issues)

now let me show some examples of various orders of ordering boot drives with the 4 port hub:

usb hub 1:
port1 - sda1 boot drive
port2 - nothing
port3 - nothing
port4 - nothing
result: boots of sda1 boot drive

usb hub 1:
port1 - sda1 boot drive
port2 - nothing
port3 - nothing
port4 - compatible webcam

usb hub 1:
port1 - compatible webcam
port2 - nothing
port3 - nothing
port4 - sda1 boot drive

Now here is where things get interesting, when i plug in an 'unknown' device, such as a temper temperature device, or another brand of a webcam, it does not want to boot, and the ordering does not matter. Obviously it's the u-boot, but i have no idea why. Also my boot drive is a 4 gig flash drive, so no spin up issues to consider.
netter

Postby netter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:32 pm

gonna double post, only because I have a seperate question. I did a simple 'ls' on the /boot directories of botht he rootfs from todnido.com and the one your guys provide via Arch Linux ARM.com Your's is 2.7M, and tonido's is 2.5M, so a difference of 0.2M. What changed, and can I just swap them and hope for the best?

edit: just swapped the tonido uImage to the Arch Linux ARM uImage and reboot worked fine. Once I get home i'm going to try plugging in the same usb devices and see if they screw with the boot process:)
netter

Postby peaslaker » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:51 pm

If you just change uImage, you will have a mismatch of the kernel to the provided modules (potentially). This may be very bad for continued reliable operation of your install. Treat the the /boot/uImage and the contents of /lib/modules as a matched set and you won't go far wrong.
peaslaker

Postby netter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:07 am

ok here is the problem in a nutshell

1) plug in a funky device, Temper USB thermometer, Plustek webcam, and the following happens:

a) device stalls for at least 1-2 min, then boots into nand, rootfs, I have ssh acess and all but it stops booting to the usb boot drive. Also order doesn't matter, and i have 3 drives in total attached(1 flash drive(boot drive as ext2), 2 ntfs drives, (1 flash, 1 hardrive))
b) during cold boot, I see the hub go in order of drives that it's checking. Each one of the 10 ports has a led next to it which shows use, and it clearly goes in order. Not sure if this helps but it shows it checks all these drives, and in what order.

so what can i do to prevent the tonido plug from ignoring the boot usb drive, when i plug in *funky* usb devices?

Also neither the uImage from tonido, nor Arch Linux ARM makes any difference

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('peaslaker', 'I')f you just change uImage, you will have a mismatch of the kernel to the provided modules (potentially). This may be very bad for continued reliable operation of your install. Treat the the /boot/uImage and the contents of /lib/modules as a matched set and you won't go far wrong.

I swapped from the tonido image to the Arch Linux ARM image of uImage one my bootdrive and all went well, so yeah dumb move, but all went well. And hell at the worst i would have had to undo it on my bootdrive, which isn't a big issue. At this point I don't have any other options to fix this usb boot mess...
netter

Postby pepedog » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:55 am

I too, over the years and on diff hardware and os, have had problems with USB
One memberable one was a web cam that wanted 500ma, which was fine as long as I never powered up with it plugged in.

Dave
pepedog
Developer

Postby netter » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:45 pm

yeah that's the issue, when a funky device is plugged in it can't boot from the usb anymore, and instead boots from the nand again...
netter

Postby netter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:40 pm

so no one has any solutions, or hacks to get past these boot problems?
netter

Postby Samson » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:12 pm

I believe you have to get access to uBoot environment....
Samson

Postby peaslaker » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:55 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('netter', 's')o no one has any solutions, or hacks to get past these boot problems?

The current draw on the USB of the Dockstar is too high on startup. There isn't a software fix for that (except for the sidestep bodge I'll list in a minute).

Options are:
1. unplug the web cam
2. powered USB hub supplying power to the webcam
or
3. (the sidestep bodge) install the kernel to NAND and boot from NAND with a good long pause before expecting to find anything sensible on USB storage. Leave the USB system to settle out and the system will never know the difference, although if you smell smoke you should probably switch it off.
peaslaker

Next

Return to U-Boot/Kernel