Custom kernel to complicated

Discussion about U-Boot and the kernel.

Custom kernel to complicated

Postby PPC601 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:09 am

Hi there!

I decided that Funtoo is to much work for a small Raspberry ;-), so I gave Arch a try.
My second installation is on a Zyxel NAS, and for this system, I'm running a custom kernel. It works, but updating the kernel is a pain:
Pacman installs /usr/src/linux-kirkwood, but that source cannot be compiled (it says "scripts/Makefile.build:44: arch/arm/tools/Makefile: No such file or directory"). I guess this package is only for cross-compiling, but even if that is true, I don't understand why the files for native compilation aren't included as well.

So my question is simple: Why do I have to checkout the whole git://github.com/archlinuxarm/PKGBUILDs.git? (at least that is what I did for the first kernel).
Is this a political thing, does no one else need a working kernel package or did I just get something completely wrong with my installation?

Best regards,
Tino
PPC601

Re: Custom kernel to complicated

Postby moonman » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:13 am

pacman doesn't install any sources ever. You confused headers package with sources.

Yes you do need to checkout the whole thing because that's how git works. AFAIK you cannot do partial download with git.

Also note that none of the packages are cross-compiled and are not written to be that way.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Re: Custom kernel to complicated

Postby PPC601 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:47 am

Thanks for the reply.
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', 'p')acman doesn't install any sources ever.

I could argue about that, as "make menuconfig" triggers the compilation of some files - but I won't start nitpicking, as I seem to have created the linux-kirkwood directory on my own ;-)

So /usr/src usually contains only stripped-down kernel packages, right?
Saves disk space and download-time, thus it's preferable for the majority of stock-kernel users... not sure how Debian or Red Hat behave in this respect, but I have been really confused because the makefile made me believe that everything is fine.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('moonman', 'A')FAIK you cannot do partial download with git.

True - that's the last bonus that is left for Subversion ;-)
But is there no public repository with the sources of linux-kirkwood?

Anyways, I think it would make sense to replace the makefile with a Readme (or remove it... or make it display an informative message...). I guess IRC or github are the right locations to propose this?
PPC601

Return to U-Boot/Kernel