BBlack Intermittent Boot Failure

Discussion about U-Boot and the kernel.

BBlack Intermittent Boot Failure

Postby crankshaft » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:40 pm

I have an intermittent problem with the beaglebone black, whereby sometimes it does not boot up.

This happens randomly and the only LED that is on is the power LED, the power supply is VERY stable and I am 100% sure that this is not the cause.

This happens whether using the internal emmc or an sdcard as the boot media.

I have seen some posts also reporting this problem, but so far have not found a solution and wonder whether others are also facing this problem, and more importantly if is there is a solution.

I am using the bblack in an embedded solution and the random inability not to boot up is a show-stopper for what otherwise is a perfect solution.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
crankshaft

Re: BBlack Intermittent Boot Failure

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:10 pm

Which revision of the board is this?
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby crankshaft » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:49 am

Hi, it is the latest revision C
crankshaft

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:48 pm

Huh... I will have to see if I can replicate with my Rev C. I have never seen this though.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby crankshaft » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:08 pm

Just start up and shutdown repeatedly using the power button, you should get a failure to boot up around 5% - 10% of the time, but you will need to do this probably around 20 times to be sure to see the problem.

It happens randomly and not very often, others report this to be spurious data on UART0_RX that is mis-interpreted as a request for UBOOT to enter interactive mode.
crankshaft

Postby Sprite » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:55 am

Hi, i had a similar problem he power light came on but nothing else was responding.... turns out that holding down the RESET button and then pushing the power button while attempting to boot from an uSD fixed it....

I don't know why, but the instructions say it should be the other button closer to the card slot

hope that helps.
Sprite

Postby crankshaft » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:44 pm

This issue has been documented very well here: http://www.mikini.dk/index.php/2014/10/ ... ible-cause

It is also discussed here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... Xv6An1xfqI[26-50]

I am really astounded that this issue has been ignored, it is a showstopper for those of us who must have 100% bootup / shutdown reliability in embedded situations.

I have a motherboard PCB, casing all designed and prototyped with a BB as the daughterboard, all 100% ready to go and has been shelved because of this issue.

I have another motherboard / casing with the RPI as the daughterboard which will now be used because of this issue, which is a shame as the BB is a much better choice in terms of hardware than the RPI.

I know I have already said this in this post, but I would like to know why no official response / fix from TI has been offered for this problem, it appears that they are refusing to accept that it is an issue.

I realize that this is not specific to ARCH, but I just find it incredible that despite so many reports of this problem, that it has not been acknowledged and fixed.
crankshaft

Postby WarheadsSE » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:15 pm

Wow. Nice find on that one. This does explain why I have had absolutely no luck replicating this, however. :|
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Return to U-Boot/Kernel