Booting by Label or UUID

Discussion about U-Boot and the kernel.

Booting by Label or UUID

Postby archlinuxarmomae » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi,

I recently upgraded my Pogoplug E02/Marvel Kirkwood to the new Uboot. Before, I followd this guide or this one (not quite sure which one, both a more or less the same) to boot by Label. With the new Uboot, the layout of the uboot-arguments have changed - I experimented a bit trying boot by label, but didn't succeed. That's why I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to boot by Label (or UUID) with the new Uboot.
archlinuxarmomae

Re: Booting by Label or UUID

Postby moonman » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:03 pm

you need to figure out how to load uInitrd then change bootm (or bootz) command to boot with initrd. Then you can use label or uuid. I might look into doing that when I have more time.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby moonman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:26 am

One more thing: you can use PARTUUD (root=PARTUUID=<partuud>)
PARTUUID is part of GPT, not filesystem like UUID so kernel can see it without using additional tools hence no need for initrd.

You need to convert your MBR table to GPT (using gdisk?), find out what PARTUUID is for a partition with "blkid" and change "setargs" variable in uboot environment. That's it. New U-Boot does support GPT partition table out of the box.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby archlinuxarmomae » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:38 am

Thanks moonman! Using PARTUUID works!
archlinuxarmomae

Return to U-Boot/Kernel