Why root fs is mounted read/write?

Discussion about U-Boot and the kernel.

Why root fs is mounted read/write?

Postby GaalDornick » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:19 pm

I was wondering why the root filesystem in Udoo and Raspberry is mounted with the rw option instead of ro (read only).
Mounting it in read/write mode prevents the system from checking the filesystem at boot, when the maximum mount count, or time is reached (I usually set them to 30 mounts, and 30 days).
I tested my Udoo quad with the latest kernel (4.1.1-1) mounting the root filesystem read only and the check happens when needed, and then the filesystem is re-mounted writable, so all works fine.
GaalDornick

Re: Why root fs is mounted read/write?

Postby moonman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:03 am

Please read the wiki first https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fsck

Also we don't use initrd so fsck does not work on boot either way. You are free to modify it the way you want including generating your own initrd.
Pogoplug V4 | GoFlex Home | Raspberry Pi 4 4GB | CuBox-i4 Pro | ClearFog | BeagleBone Black | Odroid U2 | Odroid C1 | Odroid XU4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[armv5] Updated U-Boot | [armv5] NAND Rescue System
moonman
Developer

Postby GaalDornick » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:37 am

I read that document. So the rootfilesystem is automatically checked at every boot even if the mount count between checks is not updated? I think I would check if I have something not correctly configured.
GaalDornick

Postby WarheadsSE » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:12 pm

Because we do not ship with an initrd, there can be definitive issues with RO vs RW @ / when it comes to boot up, and possibly people gaffing their fstab in such a way that they end up with systemd barfing with inability to create the journal logs, and a few other joyous pains that occur when you have don't have the necessary items mounted in a rw mode.

TL;DR
We have it RW so that fewer people come screaming to use that it doesn't work, in reality, they just gaffed their installs.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby GaalDornick » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:10 pm

Problem solved: I wrote a wrong number on the fsck option column in my fstab file.
Thank you very much for your help.
GaalDornick

Return to U-Boot/Kernel