Running Debian Lenny on the Seagate Dockstar

Talk about the project itself, the community, where we are and what we need. Great place to introduce yourself and make friends as well.

Running Debian Lenny on the Seagate Dockstar

Postby mattmc97 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:24 pm

I have installed Debian following this guide on the wiki...

http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/

Two problems...

1. It appears that Jeff forgot to mirror a file for URL_POGO_UBOOT , when the script is run that file is missing. I looked for it manually and it does not come up. Fix is to comment out his version and use the original source.

BTW, thanks Jeff for the instructions to get this going, not knocking your guide, just trying to help someone out.

vi dockstar.debian-lenny.sh

Under # Original package sources

URL_POGO_UBOOT //Take out #

Under # Download from package mirror

#URL_POGO_UBOOT //Add #

2. After fixing the above error, the install runs all the way through. I let it finish then run '/sbin/reboot' and I come back into the standard NAND linux , password is still stxadmin

I have rebooted and run '/sbin/reboot/' three times and it always comes back to here.

Anyone successfully installed using this guide?

What am I missing?

Thanks.
mattmc97
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: Running Debian Lenny on the Seagate Dockstar

Postby mattmc97 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:48 pm

**Update**

I did an /sbin/poweroff, then rebooted then did a /sbin/reboot, and waited like 5 minutes before trying to SSH in. This time I did get into debian.

Was I trying to quick or is there something magic about /sbin/poweroff?

Thanks.

Steps I used to install debian on dockstar...

Steps taken mostly from Jeff http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/ with a few commands from http://ahsoftware.de/dockstar/

Step 1. Unplug your routers WAN (internet) port. This prevents the dockstar from updating but it still allows it to get a dhcp address.
View routers DHCP table to find IP address when you plug it in the first time.
AND YES, you can manually search for it with nmap, but my way is much easier.

Step 2. Partition your SD card or USB drive in linux. I tried to do it over SSH while plugged into the unit and fdisk would not write the partition table.

Here is mine on 4 gig SD card plugged in with USB adapter.

Disk /dev/sda: 3957 MB, 3957325824 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 481 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 433 3478041 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 434 481 385560 82 Linux swap


Step 3. Plug in your sdcard adapter or USB drive to dockstar and your dockstar into router (lan side) and power.


Step 4. Config

login: root
pwd: stxadmin

#kill pogoplug
killall hbwd

#check your partition table to make sure it is being read
-bash-3.2# /sbin/fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 3957 MB, 3957325824 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 481 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 433 3478041 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 434 481 385560 82 Linux swap


mount -o remount,rw /

vi /etc/init.d/rcS

# Find and comment out the line that starts hbmgr, this prevents pogo program to start on boot
#/etc/init.d/hbmgr.sh start


// Reconnect WAN (internet), since we disabled the startup it will no longer lock us out.

/sbin/reboot

#check to make sure you have ip address and date is being updated
ip addr

date

#These steps taken from Jeff Doozan guide above
cd /tmp
wget http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/dockstar.debian-lenny.sh
chmod +x dockstar.debian-lenny.sh



//Apparently Jeff forgot to copy a file to his mirror as the file that URL_POGO_UBOOT does not exist

vi dockstar.debian-lenny.sh

Under # Original package sources

URL_POGO_UBOOT //Take out #

Under # Download from package mirror

#URL_POGO_UBOOT //Add #


#Run setup
./dockstar.debian-lenny.sh

#Watch all the first steps as wget is getting files and make sure none of them crap out. I was getting a 404 error until I fixed the file above. Install takes about 15-20 mins on 3 Mbps DSL.

#Reboot

/sbin/reboot

Now mine did not come up into debian immediately. I actually rebooted about 3 times and it never would go to debian I finally issued /sbin/poweroff, then after two minutes, unplugged and replugged. I let it reboot, then issue /sbin/reboot, Waited about 5 minutes this time and it came up into debian!
mattmc97
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: Running Debian Lenny on the Seagate Dockstar

Postby rjeffries » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:35 am

I followed jeff's debian guide on Saturday. found a few glitches which he fixed,
then it worked for me. THANKS JEFF

I am not sure, but I think when all was said and done I powered the dockstar off
and it rebooted into debian

it's running fine. I am sweating through simple (but new to me stuff) for example
not luck getting an ftd server, at least not yet.
rjeffries
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Running Debian Lenny on the Seagate Dockstar

Postby mattmc97 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:41 am

Funny enough, the way I figured out there were issues was a google search led me to YOUR (rjeffries) pastebin. As I was going thru it, I saw the errors and realized there was a file missing or you were losing your connection. I tested all the wgets manually prior to starting and figured it out pretty quick.

So thanks to you too!
mattmc97
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: Running Debian Lenny on the Seagate Dockstar

Postby hojnikb » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:28 am

Great to see Debian running on our dockies :)
I still like Arch Linux ARM install linux better, becouse its built natively on our plugs.
+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ +°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~I ♥ my DockStar :oops:~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°++°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~
Linux = Be root
Windows = reboot

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~DockStar, Marvell CPU @ 1.2Ghz, 128MB RAM, 4GB rootfs + 160GB°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
hojnikb
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:57 am

Re: Running Debian Lenny on the Seagate Dockstar

Postby JusRelax » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:43 am

Hi,

I followed this writeup of installing Debian; everything was going great until I performed the /sbin/reboot to actually load up into debian. When I did so, I came back after about 20 minutes (ate my dinner), and the dockstar's led now flashes orange. I can ping the box, but when I try to SSH in, I get "connection refused". During a power cycle, the green light will flash for a while, turn off, and then the orange light will flash endlessly. This happens regardless of if I have my USB drive that I installed debian on plugged in or not. Have I bricked my dockstar?
JusRelax
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:38 am

Re: Running Debian Lenny on the Seagate Dockstar

Postby antipasta » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:59 pm

Maybe it has something to do with what you had for dinner?? I had macaroni the night I got my dockstar working with debian, if that helps :lol:

JusRelax wrote:When I did so, I came back after about 20 minutes (ate my dinner), and the dockstar's led now flashes orange.
antipasta
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Running Debian Lenny on the Seagate Dockstar

Postby bzboi » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:38 pm

JusRelax wrote:Hi,

I followed this writeup of installing Debian; everything was going great until I performed the /sbin/reboot to actually load up into debian. When I did so, I came back after about 20 minutes (ate my dinner), and the dockstar's led now flashes orange. I can ping the box, but when I try to SSH in, I get "connection refused". During a power cycle, the green light will flash for a while, turn off, and then the orange light will flash endlessly. This happens regardless of if I have my USB drive that I installed debian on plugged in or not. Have I bricked my dockstar?


Do you know if your firmware was already updated to 2.12? The new firmware is uploaded in the background and disables SSH by deafult. Mine did something similar and I had to activate the Pogoplug feature and re-enable SSH at dockstar.pogoplug.com and choose a new SSH password. You should still be able to occassionally get to the Arch Linux ARM install linux bootloader though. (See viewtopic.php?f=23&t=92)
bzboi
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Running Debian Lenny on the Seagate Dockstar

Postby JusRelax » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:04 am

I believe I can no longer startup in pogo, since the setup turns off hbmgr.sh from the startup script. I've tried logging into mypogoplug, but it no longer sees any of my drives that are connected to the dockstar (before I tried this install, I was using ARCH LEENUCKS ARM!1ONE and had no issues with seeing drives at mypogoplug.

bzboi wrote:
JusRelax wrote:Hi,

I followed this writeup of installing Debian; everything was going great until I performed the /sbin/reboot to actually load up into debian. When I did so, I came back after about 20 minutes (ate my dinner), and the dockstar's led now flashes orange. I can ping the box, but when I try to SSH in, I get "connection refused". During a power cycle, the green light will flash for a while, turn off, and then the orange light will flash endlessly. This happens regardless of if I have my USB drive that I installed debian on plugged in or not. Have I bricked my dockstar?


Do you know if your firmware was already updated to 2.12? The new firmware is uploaded in the background and disables SSH by deafult. Mine did something similar and I had to activate the Pogoplug feature and re-enable SSH at dockstar.pogoplug.com and choose a new SSH password. You should still be able to occassionally get to the Arch Linux ARM install linux bootloader though. (See viewtopic.php?f=23&t=92)
JusRelax
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:38 am

Re: Running Debian Lenny on the Seagate Dockstar

Postby mattmc97 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:37 am

Have you tried pulling the USB drive and rebooting?

Also, power down, pull usb drive, wait 5 minutes, then reboot WITHOUT the usb drive. That should get you back into the NAND linux. You are correct in that if you shutdown hbmgr.sh, you will lose the mypogo plug ability.

You should still be able to SSh into it though.
mattmc97
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:01 pm

Next

Return to Community

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest