How to add support for new devices

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

How to add support for new devices

Postby Malvineous » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:40 am

Hi all,

Is there any documentation about how Arch Linux ARM decides which devices to support?

MikroTik recently released a board I am interested in (model RB5009UPr+S+IN) which runs their own Linux-based RouterOS, and OpenWRT has a high level of support for it too.

I prefer Arch Linux ARM to OpenWRT though as it is more developer-friendly and doesn't have as much custom configuration, so I'm wondering what would be involved in getting Arch going on this MikroTik device.

It looks like there are some 'community supported' devices so I imagine this is where it would start. Is this as far as it goes unless one of the core developers chooses to adopt the platform?

I've had a look through the Arch Linux ARM wiki but there isn't a lot of information about how to get things going from bare metal, or whether there is a standard build process that creates images for the supported devices, which you can copy and then modify for new devices. I presume this exists somewhere I am just not very good at locating it.

Any pointers for where this information is located? Thanks!

(P.S. I'm aware of device trees, mtd partitions, bootloaders, etc. My question is more about how to integrate this into the Arch Linux ARM ecosystem, rather than technical questions on how to get code running on a new type of device.)
Malvineous

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices