Installation in an Android Chroot

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: Installation in an Android Chroot

Postby mcd1992 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:20 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('daveosel', 'H')i guys, thnx for this great guide.
Its stupid really, but i've ben having problems with the very simplest of these steps. I have been an ArchLinux user for years...
I have BusyBox installed, I connected through dab shell, and yet:
1. mount -t ext2 /dev/loop1 arch/ gives out mount: File too Large Why?
2. "tar" seems not to have a '-z' option to run a gzip filter??? I am very frustrated after hours of searching...

I just bought the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1" with Ice Cream Sandwich (v 4.0.3) installed and latest BusyBox Pro (7.9.2) installed.

Any help would be much appreciated.
By the way, I downloaded ArchLinuxARM-omap-smp-latest.tar.gz to install on this device (ARMv7 cpu), is that good, bad?

Thanks in advance :)

I had the same problem on my archos 101 g9, fixed it by using `dd if=/dev/zero of=arch.ext bs=1024 count=400000` to create the initial image.
mcd1992

Postby pione » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:39 pm

Hello!!
I have succesfully "installed" archlinux arm with this method in a asus transformer prime tablet.
For the people that have some problem with loop support in the kernel (as me), and don't want to invalidate the warranty installing a custom rom, I solved this issue simply coping the file of the .img image in a directory and doing chroot directly without mounting it.
It worked for me :D
pione

Postby ilikenwf » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:49 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('weaponseventeen', '
')This produces obvious errors such as when running pacman, after "checking for file conflicts", I get a series of warnings like:
"warning: could not get filesystem information for /acct: No such file or directory"
and for all other android mount points not present in the archarm chroot.

I found a dirty hack to get around this, but in the end, you'll probably need to just rebuild the mtab every time with your bash script to start the chroot up...

To workaround temporarily, you start the chroot with your bound mounts, and then delete /etc/mtab...then, cp /proc/mounts /etc/mtab.

Open /etc/mtab in your favorite editor, and only leave the following lines - of course, you'll need to adjust this if you're binding the sdcard, etc to a directory within the chroot by adding a line for it.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
rootfs / rootfs rw,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
')

As dirty a hack as it is, you need to first copy /proc/mounts to /etc/mtab

Some other tips:
pacman -Rdd linux linux-api-headers linux-firmware linux-headers (save ~105mb)

Also, we should look into borrowing the better features of the debian-kit...the source is open. We should also port the androdns resolver thing it uses, as well as it's "andromize" scripts.

http://sourceforge.net/p/debian-kit/code/
ilikenwf

Postby ilikenwf » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:12 am

Also, you'll need to do this for internet access:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
groupadd -g 3003 inet
groupadd -g 3005 inetadmin
usermod -aG inet root
usermod -aG inetadmin root
')
ilikenwf

Postby RealGecko » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:06 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('workdowg', '
')mount -t ext2 /dev/loop256 arch/

This one gives "mount: No such device"
I have Chinese tablet with rk2918 chip and Android 2.3.1(kernel 2.6.32.27). Any ideas how to fix?
RealGecko

Postby workdowg » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:33 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('RealGecko', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('workdowg', '

I have Chinese tablet with rk2918 chip and Android 2.3.1(kernel 2.6.32.27). Any ideas how to fix?

I have a better script now. Let me look into it....
workdowg

Postby RealGecko » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:11 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('workdowg', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('RealGecko', '')$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('workdowg', '

I have a better script now. Let me look into it....

OK, I`ve done it. As I understood my kernel has a lack of ext2 support. As I was unable to mount SD card formatted with ext2. After I formatted card with ext3 it successfully mounted and I was able to run Arch in chroot. But now I have another problem: after update (pacman -Syu) function keys and also arrow keys and "PgUp","PgDown" etc stopped working. When I press any of them I get something like "^[0A" in command prompt. Any ideas what happened?
RealGecko

Postby rubiojr » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Posting to confirm that ArchLinuxARM-odroidx ARMv7 images work on something like a Samsung Galaxy S3 with Cyanogenmod 10.1 if that helps.

There are no filesystem tarballs available for those images though, so you'll have to download the partitioned image and convert it to a raw image/tarball first so you can use the scripts posted in this threads.
rubiojr

Postby rubiojr » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:33 pm

Howdy folks,

Just posted a short guide to setup an Arch chroot in a Galaxy S3, using odroid-x images:

http://rubiojr.rbel.co/hack/2013/01/10/ ... one-chroot

Many thanks to the folks in this thread for the inspiration.
rubiojr

Postby gdamjan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:57 pm

You didn't need to unpack the .img file.
There are .tar.gz files on http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/
gdamjan

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices