Installation in an Android Chroot

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: Installation in an Android Chroot

Postby sironitomas » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:56 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('kmihelich', 'T')here is a reason why this is filed under community supported devices. Support comes from the community. The official development time is spent on devices we actually boot from.. devices that are open to development or can be flashed to comply. If you want more from a chroot, you're more than welcome to contribute.

I thought the difference between supported and community supported was just a matter of preference over some devices. Now it's clear. I'm willing to contribute, test and document as long as more experienced users can help, because I'm not a Linux guru. I mean, experienced in Arch Linux itself, not ALARM chrooted in Android, so I'm sure there's a lot of people around.
sironitomas

Postby learnerofskills » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:59 pm

I have followed the directions posted by crimsonredmk, bogen, and sironitomas. And everything works fine until the last step which gives me,
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@localhost /]# pacman -Syu
pacman: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: invalid ELF header')
Any clue how to fix this?
learnerofskills

Postby learnerofskills » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:38 pm

I fixed the problem by using ArchLinuxARM-oxnas-latest.tar.gz instead

I did try the tegra and omap tarballs first... The tegra tarball ended up not being able to sync with the pacman database and the omap tarball kept giving me a segmentation fault whenever I would type in any command.

The oxnas tarball seems to work great so far. Thanks!
learnerofskills

Postby pfalcon » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:51 pm

I started a project ("ChDistro") to create a generic and well-working chroot environment for Android. Besides an elaborated script to start up a chroot environment, that also includes selections of (opensource of course) software to use on Android side, patches to it, set up instructions and usage hints, etc.

I'm so far testing and elaborating Ubuntu support, but as I mention, it's intended to be generic, and should work with any compatible (i.e. ARM) distro. I'm not sure when I'm get to trying something else besides Ubuntu, so would like to invite Arch Linux community to try it.

http://sf.net/p/chdistro-droid

Comments are welcome!
pfalcon

Postby rlp10 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:19 pm

I've been using ALARM on a rooted android device through a chroot environment. It works very well.

One of the earlier posts referred to installing the oxnas version of ALARM. From what I can see the best thing you can do is to research which version of ARM your android device's processor is. I'm using an HTC Wildfire (Buzz) which is v6, hence the oxnas is best for me. For others, it will depend on their phone.

Hope that helps.

Richard
rlp10

Postby kmihelich » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:32 pm

So you know, the oxnas tarball is the same as armv5te, just with a different udev. We don't maintain a v6 repo because there's no benefit, the processors don't have any extra capabilities over v5.
Arch Linux ARM exists and continues to grow through community support, please donate today!
kmihelich
Developer

Postby rlp10 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:41 pm

kmihelich - thanks for making that clear. I didn't realise there was so little difference between the chips.
rlp10

Network as non-root user

Postby maribu » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:46 pm

Hey everybody!

Has someone already figured out how to use the network-connection as a normal user (not root)? I think the normal user has not the permission to use the network connection. I added the user to the "network" group, but obviously I have to grant permission to this user from the android-system. But I have no idea how to do this.

Has someone else an idea? Thank you!
maribu

Postby djp » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:32 am

To use ssh as a regular user:

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '
groupadd -g 3003 aid_inet
gpasswd -a $USER aid_inet
')
taken from https://blog.tuinslak.org/socket-permission-denied

~DJP
djp

Postby rowan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:33 am

hello
so i have done every step above but when i try to install something it spits out:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('', 'e')rror: could not determine filesystem mount points
error: not enough free disk space
error: failed to commit transaction.

its a 8gb sd card with plenty of space. the disk image is as above 700mb with 300mb free on it
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'df') on its own says it cannot read table of mounted filesystem
but $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', 'df /') works.
what have i fudged up?
rowan

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices