efika mx smarttop

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: efika mx smarttop

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:59 pm

Agreed that the smartbook doesn't support the LCD at this time, but what about serial access, or netcat? (either way it's not going to be usable as a smartbook.)

Using deb's on Arch isn't impossible, just manual :D
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby CPUnltd » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:13 pm

I'm sure that an AUR package could be built with the support necessary to cover the missing items until they can be officially supported within Arch and Genesi... At least I would hope so.
If "custom" was mass produced, it would just be a "product line..."

Help grow the dev population, have your techs trained and certified!
CPUnltd

Postby WarheadsSE » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:14 pm

Should be possible indeed :mrgreen:
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby CPUnltd » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:19 pm

to be more specific, an AUR package COULD be made to allow an eula to be agreed to before downloading source and building the package for "proper use" of the device's video features (and can be placed on a remaster of Arch, if one is made, for the efika systems) with that disclaimer/popup on first login and/or setup within the AUR install process. I've seen such done in the past with the proprietary flash drivers, if I'm not mistaken.

CPUnltd

Postby vbmithr » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:44 am

What is possible is to get the .deb, extract their content, put the things in the right place for archlinux. And do AUR packages that do that. I think I’ll try, it’s worth trying.
vbmithr

Postby WarheadsSE » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:35 pm

That's the exact thing I was thinking, but he does have a point about the license.
Core Developer
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby CPUnltd » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:26 pm

as long as the license part is taken care of (some form of y/n argument setup, maybe even a weblink to the actual license) in the "refined" form of the AUR package, there should be no backlash... releasing an AUR package without it may not be detrimental, as long as work is being put in to include some way to have the end user agree to something before the actual download/install happens... There may be some pkgs still floating around like that.

CPUnltd

A small tutorial

Postby asdil12 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:00 pm

I wrote a small tutorial and created an imx5-rootfs and boot-fs based on the omap-fs and the preinstalled ubuntu-kernel:

http://heidler.eu/blog/arch-efikamx
asdil12

Postby CPUnltd » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:20 pm

I will be checking this out TODAY! Thanks for this! If I can get Arch installed on my Efika, I'll be buying more for my net cafe!!!

EDIT:
Is there a minimum SD card size required? Thought it would be good to know ahead of time... I'll be working on this, hopefully, in the next hour or so...

UPDATE:
I got the tarballs extracted on a 4GB SD card, but now I'm lost as to how I find out what hardware I'm working with to install the proper drivers for the GPU... I read that the SD slot can handle up to 16GB, but I intend on testing a 32GB in the near future and post back... but I'm looking to get a working desktop and start installing AUR packages so I can get back to posting which ones work for ARM... I'm not finding the info anywhere and I'm not exactly sure where to look online to get exact GPU info... can anyone shed some light on this?

UPDATE 2: 4GB is too small for this effort... I got as far as getting most of the x components installed along with network manager (and it's applet) and I filled up the 3.1GB I had access to on /. Going to drop in a 32GB that I have on hand and see how that plays out between today and tomorrow...

UPDATE 3: 32GB boots just fine when you follow the tutorial to the letter...

CPUnltd

Postby asdil12 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:25 am

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('CPUnltd', 'I') got the tarballs extracted on a 4GB SD card, but now I'm lost as to how I find out what hardware I'm working with to install the proper drivers for the GPU...

Posted a comment at http://heidler.eu/blog/arch-efikamx how to install the GPU driver.

I got an Xserver started after performing this steps, but I didn't get opengl to use hw-acceleration, and for example the xfce4 windowbars are looking quite ugly.

Currently I'm just using the xf86-video-fbdev driver, which just uses the framebuffer-driver that is working out of the box, and gives me the same resolution as the imx-driver does.
asdil12

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices