[iConnect] USB boot and Arch install without serial cable

Install Arch Linux ARM on other devices.

Re: [iConnect] USB boot and Arch install without serial cabl

Postby piccioni » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering, considering installing linux on the iConnect, what do you get from that? Can you hook up a display and keyboard-mouse via usb and use it as a mini-computer? Or what is the deal? What can you use it for? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it and is gonna try it myself, using your script.

Best regards,
piccioni
piccioni

Postby piccioni » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi again,

I've now gone ahead and installed Arch on a USB stick, as the guide describes, but I have a rather embarrasing problem. My ISP gives me 5 DYNAMIC ip-addresses, which means that when the script told me everything was ready and i should reboot, I just typed reboot, not thinking about the fact that the iConnect would probably be assigned a NEW ip-address when it booted up. (I'm connected through a 5-port gigabit switch with NO user interface or anything to see what IPs are actually in use). So now I've ended up with a rebooted iConnect (which flashing blue light, as i read it should be), but NO IDEA what IP it was )assigned, hence I cant connect to it. Is there any way or program (I'm using windows) to "scan" for what IPs are being used by my switch or something like that? (I have a shitty, cheap, switch that came free from my ISP, but its made even shittier by the fact that my ISP had completely removed the user interface options and everything like that...).

EDIT: Oh, and I can't use programs like "Advanced IP Scanner", tried that, but since every IP assigned to a computer/NAS/whatever gets an EXTERNAL IP in the range of 85.227.240.1 - 85.227.240.254, it brought up every user that has my ISP and an IP within that range (some 170-something, then I stopped the scan...)

EDIT 2: I disconnected the Ethernet cable going between my switch and the iConnect, and put an ethernet cable from the iConnect directly to my PC. I thought it then would be assigned an 192.x.x.x-ip. I thought I was a genious, but...I can't find it anyway. Anyone know how to check like "whats connected to my ethernet port" or something like that? I have both a PC (running Win 7) and a MacBook Pro (running OS X Lion), but no Linux box. Somehow I imagine everything "network-information-about-your-system"-related is much easier on a linux box, but I'm a total newbie when it comes to linux... My only experience (until now) is a Xandros custom distro with an child-like GUI that came with the Asus eee PC 701 (the very first of the eee pc's) I bought when it came out many years ago. Come to think about it, I probably has that laying around somewhere---maby I should experiment with different linux distros (like Arch) on THAT before I get into more advanced things like installing it on my iConnect...

Any ideas?

ANY answer would be super!
piccioni

Postby WarheadsSE » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:55 pm

Boot them up, let them get an IP address, then disconnect your switch from the internet (you really should have a router), and then scan. Only the machines attached to the switch will come up.
Core Developer
Remember: Arch Linux ARM is entirely community donation supported!
WarheadsSE
Developer

Postby piccioni » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:31 pm

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', 'B')oot them up, let them get an IP address, then disconnect your switch from the internet (you really should have a router), and then scan. Only the machines attached to the switch will come up.

Thanks, I bet that will work!

$this->bbcode_second_pass_quote('WarheadsSE', '
')(you really should have a router)

I know, and I'm currently reading reviews for buying a router with the highest-possible 803.11n-speeds possible (I've never bothered with /b/g-wifi, its simply too slow when you have a Gigabit internet at home...). Recommendations for good wifi routers (they must also have a few gigabit ethernet ports) is very welcome! Reason I havn't bothered to buy a router for the last couple of years is the immense problems I had with different routers when I had ADSL back in the days concerning port-forwarding and things like that. It wasn't hard, but the routers (I had several) just kept crashing on me...my simple gigabit swich (with all ports open) have worked flawlessly for a few years now...

Thank you for your answer.
/piccioni
piccioni

Postby eulo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:52 pm

hi to all,

first i want to thank to all responsible in this forum and the guide for installing arc linux in iomega iconnect.
i have been successful installing using the instructions provided here, and i can boot arc linux in attached usb.
however, i am facing a problem using the fw_printenv and fw_setenv. i am getting error similar to this one..

Warning: Bad CRC, using default environment
bootcmd=bootp; setenv bootargs root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=${serverip}:${rootpath} ip=${ipaddr}:${serverip}:${gatewayip}:${netmask}:${hostname}::off; bootm
bootdelay=5
baudrate=115200

i have tried repeating the process of installation several times, but the result is still the same. i cannot change the arcNumber
when running arc linux on usb.

recently i discovered i have bad blocks using the command - "nand bad" at u-boot, that gave the output..

device 0 bad blocks:
0d800000
0d840000
1ada0000

could this be the reason for my error above? if so, can this problem be corrected?

your help is much appreciated.... more power to all!

best regards,

eulo
eulo

Postby igorert » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:39 pm

What is the contents of your /etc/fw_env.config? For iconnect, the only uncommented line there should be $this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '/dev/mtd0 0xa0000 0x20000 0x20000')

i.e., it should look like the following:
$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '# Configuration file for fw_(printenv/saveenv) utility.
# Up to two entries are valid, in this case the redundand
# environment sector is assumed present.
# MTD device name Device offset Env. size Flash sector size
#/dev/mtd2 0x0000 0x20000 0x20000

# segate dockstar:
# /dev/mtd0 0xc0000 0x20000 0x20000

# iomega iconnect
/dev/mtd0 0xa0000 0x20000 0x20000')

Note that the last line above is the only one not commented out; you need to uncomment it manually after installing uboot-env package.
igorert

Postby eulo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:12 am

thanks for your reply igorert.
i think i did not change anything after i installed.
here's my fw_env.config.

$this->bbcode_second_pass_code('', '[root@Icon1alarm etc]# cat fw_env.config
# Configuration file for fw_(printenv/saveenv) utility.
# Up to two entries are valid, in this case the redundand
# environment sector is assumed present.
# MTD device name Device offset Env. size Flash sector size
#/dev/mtd2 0x0000 0x20000 0x20000

# segate dockstar:
# /dev/mtd0 0xc0000 0x20000 0x20000

# iomega iconnect
/dev/mtd0 0xa0000 0x20000 0x20000
')
eulo

Postby eulo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:51 pm

with serial cable connected, i am getting this error...

[root@Icon1alarm ~]# fw_printenv
[ 263.414969] uncorrectable error :
[ 263.418580] uncorrectable error :
[ 263.422004] uncorrectable error :
[ 263.425431] uncorrectable error :
[ 263.430219] uncorrectable error :
[ 263.433645] uncorrectable error : Warning: Bad CRC, using default environment
bootcmd=bootp; setenv bootargs root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=${serverip}:${rootpath} ip=${ipaddr}:${serverip}:${gatewayip}:${netmask}:${hostname}::off; bootm
bootdelay=5
baudrate=115200

hope this helps?... :oops:
eulo

Postby Jef » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi,

I think I have finally managed to install this image on my extern USB HDD, things are booting up I think, In the UI off my router I see that I have wireless conection (thanks to patrice's instructions).
ssh isn't working :| , I 'm getting this error; "ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.106 port 22: No route to host".
Please can someone put me in the right direction, I'm searching almost 2 days for things getting to work?

thanks,

Jef.
Jef

Postby igorert » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:20 am

Jef, if you followed patrice's instructions verbatim than please make sure you have/add "-B" option to the wpa_supplicant line in your rc.local; without it, rc.local never exits so your system startup is never properly completed (i.e., init process never finishes processing /etc/inittab).

BTW, it'd be really great if somebody with forum admin rights could edit patrice's post to include -B option so that other folks don't get stuck with this problem ;)

Other than that, your iconnect doesn't seem to be reachable; can you even ping it ("ping 192.168.0.106")? Also, take a look at /var/log/messages to check if the network is really brought up. And check that you don't have iptables in the DAEMONS line in your rc.conf (or make sure you allow port 22 in if you really want to run iptables right away).
igorert

PreviousNext

Return to [Please read announcement] Community-Supported Devices